Moving a file to a users machine

Hello Everyone,

I am still very new to BigFix and have been testing how to move a test file to a test machine. I will need to know this for future deployments. Right now I created a test file in the, “Windows Software Distribution Wizard” and added a test.txt file to it. The file is going to a, “Temp” folder that already exists on the destination machine. I added this command to move it to the, “Temp” folder:

move __Download\Test.txt “c:\TEMP\Test.txt”

The wizard creates a, “prefetch” and, “extract” of the file as well but, still fails to work. Not sure why this supposedly simple test would still fail. Any advise is very welcome. Thanks!

First, does “C:\Temp” exist? If it does not, you will need to create it.

If it does exists, is the file already present?

Try copying the file instead of moving it.

Moving a file within the same volume keeps the permissions of the file, which means that a typical user account won’t see it.

1 Like

Thank you for the advise but unfortunately I am still not able to get it working. Please allow me to clarify what I am trying to do:

I am trying to move a simple .txt file from the BigFix console to a test computer (a simple .txt file to be exact). I need to learn how to do this so I can move more complex files later on. The temp folder already exists on the test machine and the .txt file has been uploaded into the BigFix console. I now need to know how to move the .txt to the test machine using BigFix.

I uploaded the file into the BigFix console and here is my command:

move __Download\Test.txt “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt”

I also tried this at the recommendation of trn:

copy __Download\Test.txt “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt”

Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance!

Can you post your complete script please?

yep - here is the script:

move __Download\Test.txt "c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt"
move “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\Test.txt”}” “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt”

I also tried it with the, “move” command as well - no luck.

I don’t see where your script is downloading “Test.txt”. When the action starts it would empty the “__Download” folder.

On your second statement, you need a backslash after the relevance and before \__Download

Hello Jason,

I’m still new to BigFix. Do you mean it should look like this:

move __Download\Test.txt "c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt"
move “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\Test.txt”}” “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt”

I do have the prefetch and extract in the script as well.

If you can’t post your whole script, we’re just kind of guessing at where it’s going wrong.

• Are you sure the file has downloaded and is in the __Download folder?
  • Are you sure after extracting the file that __Download\Test.txt exists? Log on to a test client and check that the file is there while the action is running.

You can only use one of those two ‘move’ commands. If the first one succeeds, the file won’t exist in __Download\Test.txt afterward which would cause the second statement to fail.

On the second statement,
move “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\Test.txt”}” “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt” would evaluate to a command line that is missing one of the path separators. It becomes
move “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\MySiteName__Download\Test.txt” “c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt”
It’s missing the backslash between the site name and the __Download folder. So it should be

move "{(pathname of client folder of current site) & "\__Download\Test.txt"}" "c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt"
or even
move "{(pathname of client folder of current site)}\__Download\Test.txt" "c:\MWA\TEMP\Test.txt"

1 Like