Moving a BigFix client to a computer group at the time of agent installation

Hi Team,

I have a requirement as below -

• I am installing BigFix agents manually in new windows server / desktop / laptop.
  • I want to move this clients to move to a relevant computer group once the agent installation is completed.
  • Is there any client setting we can pass using clientsettings.cfg?
  • Note: We do not have specific IP subnets for server / desktop / laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prasad

If you don’t have any common criteria - you can add on the clientsettings.cfg a new custom client setting.

For Example:
environment=LAN

and then you can create automatic group that will filter those machines with “Computer Settings” contains “environment=LAN”

Can I ask more information about this group? What is the intention for that group?

If this group is for newly created machines, on windows, you can use a different method

Hi Orbiton,

Thanks for the help.

We have various locations in our organization. Each location will have its servers, desktop’s and laptops.

We want to create 03 separate groups for each location (site) as -

Location 1 - Server
Location 1 - Desktop
Location 2 - Laptop

Regards,
Prasad

Hi Orbiton,

Correct me if I am wrong -

Can I add a client setting in clientsettings.cfg file as below -

“computer_group=”

And then create automatic group that will filter those machines with “Computer Settings” contains “computer_group=”

Regards,
Prasad

you canadd a client setting in clientsettings.cfg file as below -

computer_group=server

And then create automatic group that will filter those machines with “Computer Settings” contains computer_group=server

Hi Orbiton,

I will try this and update.

Thanks…

I think the simple answer here is that if you just want a group for a server, deskop, laptop, etc… each device would have metadata somewhere. Just create relevance (could already be available in an existing property, and could just copy/paste) in to the criteria for an automatic group. Forcing a text value property for this is a wasted effort that would also be a pain to maintain for new installs and re-installs.

@prasadnaikade

About the Location of the Sites, if you have for each Location different subnet - you can use the “Location By Subnet” Wizard to create a dynamic property - Geographically locating clients

And After that, If you want to distinguish between server desktop or laptop - you can check the “Device Type” property

And with that you don’t even need to add additional client settings in the configuration file.

1 Like