migrating to new server with new license and fqdn client upgrade issue

Hello,
We are having an issue with clients after upgrades that were migrated to a new bigfix instance.

We are migrating to a new instance of bigfix (new license, new FQDN of the masthead). We will soon no longer control the domain that the FQDN used so we are migrating.

We are using the fixlet Switch BES Client Action Site Masthead - BES >= 9.0 to migrate to the new server and that is working great. The fixlet runs on the old device, it starts communicating with the new environment and stops communicating with the old environment.

The issue happens when upgrading the client from 10.0.7 to 10.0.8(new server is 10.0.8) During the upgrade some clients seem to revert back to the old masthead and try communicating with the old server again.

This does not happen on all servers, only on about 20% so far

I think the problem is happening in this line of the client upgrade log where it seems to find an old masthead(from the last client upgrade) in temp

InstallShield 8:50:06: Invoking script function FindMastheadFile
MSI (s) (54!F0) [08:50:06:579]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying MASTHEADFILE property. Its current value is ‘’. Its new value: ‘C:\Windows\TEMP\ActionSite.afxm’.
MSI (s) (54!F0) [08:50:06:595]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MASTHEADFILEDESTLOCATION property. Its value is ‘c:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\ActionSite.afxm’.
1: INSTALLATION INFO: Successfully copied c:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\ActionSite.afxm to C:\Windows\TEMP\ActionSite.afxm

I checked temp on the devices that failed and that file is the old masthead file. Should the temp ActionSite.afxm file be deleted for the upgrade or am I missing any steps in the migration to ensure that this does not happen?

set up an analysis to check for that file and then remove it using a task prior to the upgrade.
Also you could open a case to get this remediated so it does not happen on future upgrades.
Dave L.

Thanks I did open a case. It looks like that may not be what happened. I missed a line earlier where the upgrade process copied the current masthead to temp. However the current masthead should have been the new masthead. I am unsure how the new masthead in the BES Client directory could have reverted though. There was nothing in the logs that I saw about it reverting.

InstallShield 8:50:06: Invoking script function FindMastheadFile
MSI (s) (54!F0) [08:50:06:579]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying MASTHEADFILE property. Its current value is ‘’. Its new value: ‘C:\Windows\TEMP\ActionSite.afxm’.
MSI (s) (54!F0) [08:50:06:595]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MASTHEADFILEDESTLOCATION property. Its value is ‘c:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\ActionSite.afxm’.
1: INSTALLATION INFO: Successfully copied c:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\ActionSite.afxm to C:\Windows\TEMP\ActionSite.afxm
InstallShield 8:50:06: Returning script function result

Are there any steps that I am missing to properly migrate between bigfix installations or other settings that need to be changed. I have looked all though the forums and help documentation but most of the migrations are between the same license/masthead/fqdn.

Thank you for any guidance.

No you look to be good as to what you are actually doing.
There seems to be something screwy with that upgrade.
If the case is still open ask the owning engineer to talk to me and we can try a recreate here.
Dave L

Thanks Dave. The case is still open and I passed along the info the the engineer an an update Friday.