Migrating service to new hardware, WebUI won't behave

Plan and progress so far: Moving BigFix from old server a.domain.com to new server b.domain.com, masthead is for old-bigfix.domain.com which is currently a cname for a.domain.com. new-bigfix.domain.com is a cname that points at b.domain.com and will be used for WebUI/Web Reports. At migration time, old-bigfix.domain.com will be re-pointed to b.domain.com. For migration testing, b.domain.com currently has a hosts file re-pointing old-bigfix.domain.com to itself and a few clients have been successfully tested using the same method. SSL Certificate has been generated with b.domain.com as the subject name and both old-bigfix.domain.com and new-bigfix.domain.com as alternative names.

Problem: WebUI wonā€™t deal with any certificates or names, stopping the service.

Weā€™d actually just uninstalled WebUI, manually deleting all pertinent files and BES Client Settings, then reinstalled WebUI. First, the WebUI failed with its self-signed cert:
Tue, 07 Nov 2023 16:36:37 -0500 -- [WebUI] WebUISiteDownloader error: HTTP Error 60: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK: SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'old-bigfix.domain.com'
(old-bigfix.domain.com being the name in the masthead, not the name of any server. The self-signed certificate understandably has a subject name of B ā€“ no domain.com.)

We swapped in the new SSL cert/key into the appropriate Client Settings (_WebUIAppEnv_WEB_CERT_FILE, _WebUIAppEnv_WEB_key_FILE) after successfully testing the files with Web Reports and having them work just fine. We also changed the _WebUIAppEnv_PLATFORM_HOST Client Setting to both new-bigfix,domain.com and b.domain.com, but get the same error as above.

Gonna submit to HCL Support as well, but wanted to see if anyone here could answer (or at least discuss) before they do. :smiley:

Iā€™d be interested in hearing what Support has to say on your ticket, but the way I read the message is that WebUI doesnā€™t like the certificate that the BESRootServer is presenting.

From the WebUI host, try a browser connection to https://old-bigfix.domain.com:52311 and to https://old-bigfix.domain.com:52315 and ensure that the name resolution is correct (WebUIā€™s HOSTS file sending you to the new server) and that the certificate the server presents is the new certificate you expect, with the SubjectAltName entries

I completed a similar BigFix platform migration from Win2012 to Win2022 (SQL 2019) last week, using two CNAMEs: a.domain.com (as per the masthead) and another that we changed to b.domain.com on the new master. We assigned the old CNAME to a fake root to ensure that connectivity would not be affected, but we had to replace all automation and API queries that referenced the old CNAME with b.domain.com.

I was also receiving the exact same error message for WebUI. Thinking that there might be a problem with WebUI, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. This is when I realized that the problem was caused by my implemented SSL certificates, so I removed the SSL certsā€™ reg keys and allowed WebUI to operate by default. Later, I worked on the certificate part and fixed that as well.

Sharing my conf file below which I used for SSL cert generation for WebUI -

[ req ]
default_bits = 4096
default_keyfile = keyfile.pem
distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
attributes = req_attributes
req_extensions     = req_ext
prompt = no
output_password = mysecret

[ req_distinguished_name ]
C = US
ST = Washington
L = East Wenatchee
O = BFX
OU = PR
CN = hostname.domain.com
emailAddress = Support@domain.com
[ req_ext ]
subjectAltName = @alt_names
		[alt_names]
		DNS.1 = hostname.domain.com
		DNS.2 = Hostname
		DNS.3 = 11.11.11.11
		DNS.4 = localhost
		DNS.5 = b.domain.com
		DNS.6 = b

[ req_attributes ]
challengePassword = mysecret

Iā€™m sharing the conf file I used for the RESTAPI/Weberport SSL certs below after discovering that the SSL certs and conf file I made for the master RESTAPI/Webreport would not function with WebUI.

The only difference I could find in the two files was the CN. RESTAPI/Webreport functions properly with CN set to b.domain.com, but WebUI refers to the old CNAME from the masthead, so changing the CNAME in the conf file to hostname solved the problem and allowed WebUI to function.

Iā€™m not sure of the underlying reasoning, but once something functions, I usually donā€™t waste time trying to figure it out further.

[ req ]
default_bits = 4096
default_keyfile = keyfile.pem
distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
attributes = req_attributes
req_extensions     = req_ext
prompt = no
output_password = mysecret

[ req_distinguished_name ]
C = US
ST = Washington
L = East Wenatchee
O = BFX
OU = PR
CN = b.domain.com
emailAddress = Support@domain.com
[ req_ext ]
subjectAltName = @alt_names
		[alt_names]
		DNS.1 = hostname.domain.com
		DNS.2 = hostname
		DNS.3 = 11.11.11.11
		DNS.4 = localhost
		DNS.5 = b.domain.com
		DNS.6 = b

[ req_attributes ]
challengePassword = mysecret

This might be too late, but Iā€™d have prepopulated all the certs, on all new/old systems, with all the new/old names as SAN entires. At least then, once the DNS records are sorted, each participant will look at its names and decided ā€œyeah that worksā€.

Also, each system is really picky about the exact ordering of its cert chain. Iā€™ve bulked up my notes over the years with these.

As far as I know, I did this much. Thereā€™s no point in adding the older actual ā€œserverā€ names as they were never really used, but the masthead ā€œserviceā€ name is in there.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m finding oddā€¦ the cert and key work fine with Web Reports, but apparently not with WebUI. Iā€™d have thought that theyā€™d use the same logic/rules for cert processing.

Hrmā€¦ itā€™s not. Pointing the browser on b.domain.comā€“which has a hosts file pointing old-bigfix.domain.com to itself by IP addressā€“at https://old-bigfix.domain.com:52311 is coming up with a response from a.domain.com, not b.domain.com. Iā€™ve flushed the DNS cache, but even my browser appears to be ignoring the hosts file. :open_mouth:

PowerShellā€™s Test-NetConnection still respects the hosts file entry.

Hrmā€¦

Itā€™s not; as I indicated above, WebReport and WebUI both agree on a separate common name in the conf file that is used to process SSL certificates.

You can check the following WebUI setting, which is always your masthead server name (I tried changing it based on b.domain.com but it didnā€™t work). I also had a host file entry, but WebUI is disregarding it based on masthead server name.

_WebUIAppEnv_PLATFORM_HOST

Only after I changed the CN name in my openssl conf file (mentioned before) did WebUI begin to function with SSL certificates and associated settings enabled.

Maybe the browser is going through a proxy server? Perhaps try with ā€˜curlā€™ on the command line, since curl would ignore the OS/browser-configured proxy?

To be clear here, there are still plenty of pieces in this interaction that I donā€™t fully understand myself, but hopefully this may still be helpful.

When WebUI connects to the root server, it uses a different port - instead of connecting on the default 52311, by default it connects to a separate dedicated port 52315, which is used only by WebUI. The HTTPS listener on 52315 uses a different self-signed certificate; the custom cert youā€™re adding on the Root server does not change the certificate we use on the 52315 listener.

Checking mine, the certificate we generate for the port-52315 listener has a Subject matching the masthead name, and Subject Alt Names matching the masthead name, IPv4 addresses, IPv6 addresses, ā€˜localhostā€™, and the loopback IP addresses (my root serverā€™s real hostname doesnā€™t appear anywhere in the list). I donā€™t know whether itā€™s possible to add more SubjectAltNames to that certificate.

Iā€™m not a huge fan of this workaround, but I expect the simplest thing to start moving is to add a HOSTS file entry on the WebUI server, directing the masthead name ā€˜bigfix.domain.comā€™ to the new root serverā€™s IP address, and configure the _WebUIAppEnv_PLATFORM_HOST setting to match the masthead name bigfix.domain.com (and let the HOSTS file entry direct it to whichever IP address is correct).

THIS is exactly what we have now thatā€™s not working. :confused:

Iā€™m gonna look into this. Thanks!

Hmm. I think the first part is to make sure the name resolution is working - pinging the masthead name, does it go to the IP of the new server? I could see the browser getting to the wrong place via proxy, but at least ā€˜pingā€™ needs to get to the right server first.

That said, I donā€™t see why weā€™d get that particular message even if we ended up connecting to the old server instead of the new - the old server should also have a self-signed cert with the SubjectAltName matching the masthead name. (If WebUI connected to the old server, there should be a different error in that WebUIā€™s client cert should not be authorized on the old server but Iā€™m not seeing that in your log)

If there are any Proxy configs on Windows or in the BES Settings, be sure youā€™ve added proxy bypass exclusions for all of these hostname aliases involved?

I feel like Iā€™m missing something here but itā€™s a little difficult to visualize how everythingā€™s configured just from the descriptions. I think Support has a better chance reviewing your configuration in a live session

Are you changing masthead names as part of this migration as well? Iā€™m a bit unclear on that pointā€¦ at first I thought you were keeping the same masthead name and just moving the services to new hosts but on re-reading, Iā€™m thinking maybe ā€œold-bigfix.domain.comā€ is one masthead and ā€œnew-bigfix.domain.comā€ is a new masthead?

Or are ā€œold-bigfixā€ and ā€œnew-bigfixā€ just aliases for users to hit WebUI and Web Reports from their browsers?

1 Like

Noā€¦ keeping the old-bigfix.domain.com masthead the same from a.domain.com to b.domain.com, but the desire is to have folks access the server on b.domain.com via new-bigfix.domain.com for WebUI access. Using new-bigfix.dmoain.com should just be a browser, cert, and SAML auth issue, though, and not affect the actual operation of the WebUI. Or so I thought.

Hehā€¦ yeah. Itā€™s also really hard to keep translating to these sanitized names instead of our actual servers, but using the actual names in a forum seems like a bad idea. :laughing:

If memory serves[*], the HOSTS file is only observed by certain (legacy) APIs; many ā€œmodernā€ ones in fact have an entirely different code path through TCP/IP.

• Am I remembering legacy/modern Windows? macOS? That part, in truth, I cannot recall.

Iā€™ve no idea myself. Networking is my one true weak point. I can say, however, that PowerShellā€™s Test-NetConnection (aka PowerShell ping) respects the hosts file, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

Requesting a new cert with old-bigfix.domain.com as the CN with everything else as an SANā€¦

1 Like

Also, at the request of HCL Support, Iā€™ve uninstalled the WebUI that weā€™d installed via downloaded installer and re-installed via fixlet. Even before getting to applying new SSL certs, the service-wrapper.log file shows the following:

Wed, 08 Nov 2023 18:20:23 -0500 -- WebUI service version 11.0.0.175 starting
Wed, 08 Nov 2023 18:20:23 -0500 -- OpenSSL Initialized (Non-FIPS Mode)
Wed, 08 Nov 2023 18:20:23 -0500 -- Using OpenSSL crypto library OpenSSL 3.1.1 30 May 2023
Wed, 08 Nov 2023 18:20:23 -0500 -- [WebUI] WebUISiteDownloader error: HTTP Error 60: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK: SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'masthead.server.name'

Soā€¦ yeahā€¦ :confounded: