Microsoft SQL Server, ODBC and OLE DB Driver for SQL Server Remote Code Execution (RCE) Vulnerabilities for June 2023

Hopefully I am not adding to the pile of topics regarding Microsoft SQL Server, ODBC and OLE DB Driver for SQL Server Remote Code Execution (RCE) Vulnerabilities for June 2023. I have seen a couple topics on this but didn’t see much information in them regarding it. I did see Jason Walker posted in one of them “I’m afraid the news is not great. Traditionally our Patch team has not handled ODBC/OLEDB hotfixes, and I don’t anticipate publishing these any time soon”. So, I was wondering if anyone else that is having the same issue regarding the vulnerability and was wondering if anyone has tried to create a custom fixlet to deploy the fix.

Seems like the SQL CU 22 corrects the issue on the DB servers but not app or web servers. I just wanted to put a reply out there to see if anyone else is running into this issue with ODBC drivers and if anyone has seen a fixlet for this or have created one to help remediate the issue.

Our group ran into the same issue. We had to manually download the OLE driver and apply it to our webui server

Here is what we came up with for relevance:

Note: ODBC driver v17.10.4.1 remediates CVE-2023-29356
ODBC driver v17.10.5.1 is the current version as of this post

Relevance to return Boolean result which determines who needs to be updated:
TRUE = Needs Updated to remediate CVE-2023-29356
FALSE = Is currently ODBC driver v17.10.4.1 or v17.10.5.1

q: if (exists keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server\CurrentVersion” of (x64 registries; x32 registries)) then (exists values “Version” whose (it != “17.10.4.1”) of keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server\CurrentVersion” of (x64 registries; x32 registries)) AND (exists values “Version” whose (it != “17.10.5.1”) of keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server\CurrentVersion” of (x64 registries; x32 registries)) else FALSE
A: True
T: 0.359 ms

Relevance to return concatenated x64; x32 ODBC versions:

q: concatenation "; " of (if (exists keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server\CurrentVersion” of (x64 registries; x32 registries)) then (values “Version” of keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server\CurrentVersion” of (x64 registries; x32 registries)) as string else “No Key”)
A: 17.10.1.1; 17.10.1.1
T: 0.210 ms

1 Like

There is yet a newer driver this month and again neither BigFix nor SCCM detect this