Microsoft Spectre Microcode - Fixlet Confusion

Attn Content Team:

I think this fixlet description is very confusing:

409000703 4090007: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 - Windows 10 Version 1709 - KB4090007 (x64) Unspecified Patches for Windows

I don’t think this is a Cumulative Update. This is the Intel Microcode Firmware Update that Microsoft is offering for some Skylake processors for Win10 1709.

The “Open this KB Article” link on the fixlet brings us to KB4090007: Intel microcode updates - Microsoft Support

Microsoft’s description includes

This update is a standalone update available through the Microsoft Update Catalog and targeted for Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) & Windows Server version 1709 (Server Core). This update also includes Intel microcode updates that were already released for these Operating Systems at the time of Release To Manufacturing (RTM). We will offer additional microcode updates from Intel thru this KB Article for these Operating Systems as they become available to Microsoft. Please ensure that mitigation against Spectre Variant 2 is enabled through the registry settings documented in the following articles:

I think the Fixlet title should be updated to reflect this is not a Cumulative Update (the download is only 900 KB, nothing “cumulative” about that); the Title and/or Description should reflect that it’s a Microcode, for Intel systems, and related to Spectre Variant2; the CVE field should be updated to include CVE 2017-5715.

…and I wrote all of the preceding before I found the Update Details in the MS Catalog at Microsoft Update Catalog - where all of the details are the same as what Bigfix reflects, including incorrectly calling this a Cumulative Update. So…I don’t know how you’d want to handle that, but I think you can improve the description where Microsoft botched it.

:frowning:

I see that the fixlet title has been updated for KB4090007. It’s now called 4090007: Intel microcode updates - Windows 10 Version 1709 - KB4090007 (x64).