Microsoft Office & Skype Patches Exit Code 17025

I’ve been running into an issue with Microsoft Office & Skype patches that are coming back with exit code 17025. I know exit code 17025 is supposed to mean the patch is already installed, but I keep finding the patches are not actually installed. Attempts to install the patch manually on the endpoints yields the same result. I have looked through various log files and nothing is helping me get closer to figuring out why this is happening.

One of the worst offenders I have been battling with the past few months has been MS19-JUL: Security update for Skype for Business 2016 - Skype for Business 2016 / Skype for Business Basic 2016 - KB4475545.

I am out of ideas and hoping someone else has experienced this issue and can help point me in the right direction for a fix.

Do the endpoints have either KB4484102, KB4475577, or KB4475548 installed?

Just a guess but that could be the reason KB4475545 can’t be installed.
Even though it isn’t documented in the MS catalog, it could be in practice that the above listed KB’s do supersede KB4475545.

If you have any of the listed KBs installed on the system and then uninstall them, are you able to then sucessfully install KB4475545?

I’ve seen the 17025 when a file or two from a previously installed patch is overwritten by an older version of the files. As mentioned you can try uninstalling any related patches and then re-installing, but another thing you can try, is extracting the patch and then running msiexec on the msp file. KB4475545 appears to be an .exe, so you can just unzip it to a new directory and then run: msiexec /qn /p lync-x-none.msp .

I was able to track down an endpoint that wasn’t in use that is affected by the 17025 issue with KB4475545.

Of the three patches you mentioned, only KB4484102 was installed. I uninstalled KB4484102 and then successfully installed KB4475545. Then I was able to install KB4484102 again without issue.

However, BigFix is showing KB4475545 is relevant again for that endpoint.

That is generally how we have addressed the 17025 failures. We create a modified fixlet that extracts the patch to a temp location and runs the following command:

msiexec.exe /p “c:\Windows\Temp\Office\lync-x-none.msp” /qn REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus REBOOT=ReallySuppress

We’re hoping to figure out a way where we don’t have jump through hoops for numerous office patches every single month.

Definitely should not be relevant if it is installed.
Can you open a support case so that the team can investigate?

Hi,

Was this issue resolved? We are facing similar issue in our environment as well