Microsoft Office File Validation kb2501484

(imported topic written by KimberlyNNH91)

Will the Microsoft Office File Validation kb2501484 be available through BigFix or do I have to create a custom fixlet to install it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

Thank you

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

We currently have this in our queue of requested Non-Microsoft Security Bulletins. The issue is that the queue is very large, so it can take a while before we get to it. If you contact support, it might help speed up the process. Unfortunately, I can’t give you an estimated time of when it will be available through BigFix.

If you are in a hurry to have this patch available, then you can go ahead and create a custom Fixlet first.

(imported comment written by KimberlyNNH91)

ok, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

You’re in luck. We currently have someone working on providing content for this security advisory. Due to the nature of this security advisory, we are not certain what exactly does an endpoint user want. Our current plan is to provide installation of the executables only, and not provide Fixlets for the registry changes.

We currently have some Fixlets drafted (I attached it to this post). If you haven’t written your own custom Fixlets and are willing to test our copy, that’ll be great. Just import it to your Console and you should be able to see the Fixlets.

Thanks!

That’s great. I’ll let you know as soon as I get a chance to test.

(imported comment written by brian.armstrong91)

I uploaded the Office File Validation Fixlet for Office 2003 SP3 however it only shows one computer on my network as relevant. There should be over 2000 relevant. I know it requires SP3 but most of the computers already have it. I tried dissecting the relevance but there are a lot of terms in there so I am not sure where it is going wrong.

brian.armstrong

I uploaded the Office File Validation Fixlet for Office 2003 SP3 however it only shows one computer on my network as relevant. There should be over 2000 relevant. I know it requires SP3 but most of the computers already have it. I tried dissecting the relevance but there are a lot of terms in there so I am not sure where it is going wrong.

Can you be more specific? Did you import all Fixlets in the attachment, or just one of them? If you look at the associated KB article (KB2501584), it says that the particular patch for Office File Validation has a prerequisite requirement, which we created a Fixlet as well and included them in the attachment in my previous post. The prerequisites begins with the title “Update for Microsoft Office”.

You are correct. I did not see the note about the prerequisite. I just sent the prerequisite to a few test machines and now they all show relevant for the Office File Validation. Thanks

I also have a non BigFix question about the update. I have read that after applying this update Excel 2003 may take a long time to open large files that are stored on the network. The reason being that the addin performs a bunch of I/O on the file to validate it and doing it over the network is slow. From what I have found this only seems to effect Excel 2003. Apparently Excel 2007 caches the file locally before it validates the file so validation does not occur over the network. Has anybody seen this issue? I have tried to duplicate it but can’t. I am afraid to deploy this in my environment knowing there are a few people out there with monster Excel files. I obviously will be doing a bunch of testing but I was wondering if any body else had any feedback on this particular issue.

The Fixlets for this KB article, as well as the pre-reqs for it, have been published in site version 1511.

As for your question, I haven’t been able to reproduce the Excel 2003 issue either. I’m guessing it affects either slower networks or some unbelievable large file.

I never did get a chance to test but did get the BigFix email this afternoon with the fixlet information.

Thank you!