Microsoft July 2018 - Windows 10(1703, 1709) patches problem

Hello,

We created Multi Action Group of all required June patches on 12/07/2018 and currently we are in progress of patches pilot deployment. As for Windows 7/8/10(1803) everything look quite good, but when it comes to Windows 10(1703, 1709) (almost all machines have “Waiting” status).

For example:

“MS18-JUL: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 - Windows 10 Version 1703 - KB4338826 (x64)” - almost all machines have “Waiting” status (in summary there is information that “Waiting on action dependency.”)

“MS18-JUL: Delta Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 - Windows 10 Version 1709 - Delta Update - KB4338825 (x64)” - the same situation

“MS18-JUL: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 - Windows 10 Version 1709 - Adobe Flash Player - KB4338832 (x64)” - the same situation

Do anybody faced the same situation? Maybe those fixlets had some issues and now they were updated?

“Waiting on action dependency” depends on the settings you used when creating the action. Most likely, you set something like “Run only when a user is logged-on”, since your clients updated but servers did not. Check the action settings pane on the action.

Hi JasonWalker,

thank you for reply. We have always selected “Run independently of user presence, and display the user interface to the selected users”. We pushed July patches the same way as patches for the previous months so I am confused why this happened.

I would also like to ask about:
4054530: UPDATE: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Available - Windows 7 SP1 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 / Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 / Windows Server 2012 / Windows Server 2012 R2 / Windows Server 2016

Do this fixlet is correct? I checked action script and link in prefetch and it looks that it does not work?
(https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/7/3D72C5C2-4CCB-4EEF-925D-B5FA33EAC25A/NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe). All machines which are relevant have waiting status with information that “Waiting to satisfy temporal distribution time constraint.” or with “Waiting on action dependency.”

“Waiting to satisy temporal” is a rather convulated way of saying “you requested to stagger action start times / downloads over X minutes and I’m waiting for that time to arrive”.

Not sure about the other. Can you post the action settings from the action status page?

Good afternoon MatPel, wondering if you found an answer for this issue.

JasonWalker,
I did notice the same status ‘waiting on action dependency’ for some patch fixlets on my August patch deployment. Now, for the September deployment, i notice the same issue especially on MS Office related updates where the baseline would get stuck on the fixlet with “waiting on action dependency” status and not proceed further. However, this seems random as on some computers, the fixlets evaluate and proceed to install with no issues. I don’t see any constraints on the deployment, there have been no changes on the way we deploy the updates and have the action set to “Run independently of user presence, and display the user interface to the selected users”. Please see some screenshots below

See execution settings:

Thanks