Microsoft Edge Version Detection

Hello,

I need to collect the Microsoft Edge version installed in all the Desktops and also need to find the which all the machines still having Legacy Edge version. if anyone having relevance for it or any suggestions will be helpful.

And also can we update from Legacy edge version to Chromium based edge directly with Bigfix SWD?

Well luckily Edge is one of the applications covered by the regapp inspector. So all you have to do is create an analysis that returns the version, e.g.:

version of regapp "msedge.exe"

And yeah BES can update them all, however the out of the box Edge updates may have relevance that precludes a lot of possible deployments. I would make a custom copy based on what’s in the Updates for Windows Applications external site that has the last two clauses removed (the ones with the GUIDs like “{56EB18F8-B008-4CBD-B6D2-8C97FE7E9062}”) that instead (add the clause) just does a basic check for the presence of Edge and its version, e.g.:

exists regapp "msedge.exe" whose (version of it as version < "101.0.1210.39")

1 Like

As suggested, I have created the analysis to get the edge version, but it’s not working in some of the machines where the old edge is installed. Is there any other way we can do that?

@pratik, here is what we use for our implementation of the property. We found in a lot of cases Microsoft decided to tag the version of MicrosoftEdge.exe with one tied to the OS patch level and not actually the true version so we cannot rely upon simple extraction from the exe. At least with msedge.exe they went back to putting the actual version in the file.

if (windows of operating system) then (unique values of (versions of regapps "msedge.exe"; (if (exists windows file "SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" and exists windows file "SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe") then ((preceding texts of firsts "%22" of following texts of firsts " Version=%22" of it as version) of lines whose (it contains "<Identity" and it contains "Name=%22Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge%22") of windows file "SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml") else nothing))) else nothing
3 Likes

Hello Mike,

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for.

One more query, we have around 2000 endpoints with older windows builds, which are unsupported and we are not able to use IE mode in those builds, some of our applications will open only in Internet explorer. So after june 2022 we’ll still be able to use Internet explorer?

or is there any other approach is there to use IE mode in edge? in below Builds.

windows 10 version 1511
windows 10 version 1507
windows 10 version 1607
windows 10 version 1703
windows 10 version 1803