MDM on Linux platform

(imported topic written by d0gf00d)

Can I run IBM Endpoint Manager with the MDM module on a Linux platform? I know the IEM 9.0 platform is fully supported on Linux with DB2 as database, but are all modules?

(imported comment written by liuhoting)

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think all of the components in our MDM solution (namely the Management Extender stuff) runs on Linux relays.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v26r1/topic/com.ibm.tem.doc_8.2/MDM_Setup_Guide.pdf

(imported comment written by d0gf00d)

Thanks for you answer.

The setup guide mentions that the management extenders can only be run on Windows, not which Windows versions are supported. The same as for the Windows relays? Does an extender need to be a relay?

I assume I can still run the IEM platform on Linux and DB2 then to reduce the cost.

(imported comment written by JasonHonda)

There should not really be any restriction on the version of Windows that you can install the management extenders or other components on. Usually we test with Server class version of Windows but any version should work. They do need to be relays for the Management extenders. The overall platform of a Linux/DB2 IEM server is supported.

(imported comment written by d0gf00d)

To clarify myself; I don’t prefer to run on Windows client OS’es or Linux, but I’m looking for ways to get costs down with IEM. If I can’t build a large IEM-MDM platform that is multi-tennant to support multiple customers, I see two possibilities:

1. Go with a cheaper Linux IEM server as central platform and use a Windows Client OS as relay and extender for each customer.

2. Move away from TEM and go with a solution that is fully multi-tennant

(imported comment written by SteveHull)

Are you allowing your customers to access IEM directly to manage their devices, or are you doing the management for them? If you are doing the management, then the multi-tenancy capabilities you need to separate devices and policies exist today in IEM MDM. If you are providing your customers direct access, then there are some restrictions and extra care that would likely be needed to make a multi-tenant deployment work.

Either way, you can use the IEM Server on Linux/DB2 and Linux/Unix relays for Andriod devices. The management extenders for iOS, Traveler, etc are only supported on Windows, but can run on any of the Windows versions that support our IEM Relay:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21570458