Manual Downloads still Fail

(imported topic written by theKingRich)

When I am required to manually download an update, such as a Flash or Acrobat Reader update it never applies the patch.

Example:

Adobe Reader 7.0.8 Available - Adobe Reader < 7.0.7

IMPORTANT NOTE: The file “AdbeRdr708_en_US.exe” must be downloaded from the following link, renamed “7234a47fd2bcf2d529603ac08499de1dd10e9c35”, and placed in the BES Server download cache for this action to complete successfully.

I have downloaded this file, and renamed it as supposed to, and placed it in:

\bigfix\d$\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\sha1

I have checked the name, checked the download, checked the location… I think I am doing everything right.

When I run the action, it tells me it is trying to download… 1 of 432 tries, and it just tries over and over.

The same thing happens for the Flash Player 9 for Internet Explorer, Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9, and other Adobe Reader upgrades I’ve tried before.

Any ideas why it doesn’t find the download although I manually downloaded it, renamed it, and placed it where it should be?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

You should verify that the file hasn’t changed for some reason. Try this:

Open QnA and try this:

q: sha1 of file “\bigfix\d$\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\sha1\7234a47fd2bcf2d529603ac08499de1dd10e9c35” = “7234a47fd2bcf2d529603ac08499de1dd10e9c35”

If it returns false, it means that the file has changed. I just downloaded the file a minute ago and verified that it still has the same sha1 checksum.

Please open a support ticket for this one because I think someone will need to take a closer look at your system.

Ben

(imported comment written by theKingRich)

Ahh… I see my silly mistake…

The file had been named 7234a47fd2bcf2d529603ac08499de1dd10e9c35.exe

It should of course NOT have an extension after the SHA1 hash… Silly me!

I ran the query you gave me and it told me it couldn’t find the file at all.

I inspected the directory, and found that all the items I had manually downloaded had the .EXE or whatever attached to it.

It works great now!

Richard

(imported comment written by VONKELSCH91)

Anyone run into issues where a patch runs when copied locally and run via the gui, but will not run when deployed via BigFix? Running into this with Office XP sp 3. Original install was via an admin point on a mapped drive. Other ‘fullfile’ patches do run, but not sp3

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Vonkelsch,

The issue is probably related to the fact that the agent running as the SYSTEM account doesn’t have permission to access the mapped drive…

These articles may be helpful:

http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=129

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/misc/null_session_share.html

Ben