macOS and External Subscription Constraints

I just noticed that Macs on Big Sur running supported BES client versions (9.5.17/10.0.2) report their operating system name as “macOS”. This causes those endpoints to fall out of scope for these 2 pertinent external sites:

• Patches for Mac OS X
  • Updates for Mac Applications

Both of those sites have external subscription constraints requiring the OS name to be “Mac OS X”. Additionally, there are analyses/properties throughout the external sites which also expect the same. Is this a known issue?

@wilsonchang, this is likely a known issue, however it’s best practice to have customers open a support case on issues like this for tracing purposes. In this case, it will require a global change to the external site subscription relevance to fix this issue, which must come from the MacOS product team.

Thanks @cmcannady. I’ve opened up a case and hope it can be resolved in a timely manner.

1 Like

I’ve also opened a case on this and we have the following statement from the Development team:

For site Updates for Mac Applications, We have modified site relevance accordingly and we are testing all supported applications on Mac BigSur machines. Once done we will be publishing the changes. ETA : 04-Feb-2021 EOD

For site Patches for Mac OS X, We are still working on supporting Mac BigSur OS Updates. Once our content is ready and tested we will be updating site relevance accordingly. Planned as a roadmap item for Q1, 2021. We will notify once the content is published.

So looks like we’re expecting a fix for ‘Updates for Mac Applications’ sometime tomorrow, and ‘Patches for Mac OS X’…when we have validated patching content for Big Sur, sometime soon.