Lost license.pvk file discussion

A customer is unable to locate the license.pvk running BigFix 9.5.x. Can you file be recreate easily using existing masthead.afxm file?

Last option would be to request a new license authorization file and re-install the BigFix Server again. The only concern I have that will this new installation with a different license authorization file able to re-connect back to the existing BigFix databases and re-use the data again? This part is important as customer does not want to loose any historical data collected before for ILMT.

Please let me know. Thanks.

The license.pvk is a private key to a certificate. Like any private certificate key, it cannot be recreated from the public key data.

I suggest they should exhaust every option in finding their .pvk file, including checking any system backups and user profile areas they may have available.

If it truly is gone, I suggest you open a support incident to talk through your options.

It may be possible to reinstall Bigfix and restore your old database with a new key pair, but your existing clients will not communicate with the new deployment until you do a ‘masthead switch’ - replacing the actionsite.afxm on every endpoint. That’s much easier to do while you have the old deployment still up and running, as you can send an action from the old server to switch clients to the new one.

1 Like

Hi Jason, customer is planning to reinstall BigFix with a new license authorization file. I don’t remember if this new installation can re-connect and re-use existing BigFix databases from the previous deployment (missing license.pvk) so that data can be preserved. I do know that BFI and ILMT is capable to re-use the existing database when it detects during the installation. Can you confirm that during the BigFix server installation with a new license authorization file, it will able to connect to the existing BigFix databases? I am not too concern over the clients from previous deployment as there are only about 10-15 clients. we can manually replace the actionsite.afxm with a new one.

Thanks.