Log4j CVE-2021-44228 Detection and Mitigation

add this to the command line --fix --force-fix

2 Likes

I grabbed the logpresso fixlet and analysis from the github site. Is that the correct place to pull from?

I have both BES files from github imported and tried testing against one endpoint. The scan worked – created a file on the endpoint listing the copies of the file and each shows as having been mitigated. The analysis for the same box displays .

1 Like

yes, github is the place.

I just released an updated version of the scanner for both Linux and Windows. Same links as before:

It looks like logpresso only outputs if vulnerable versions are found. Correct?

1 Like

I’ve updated the shell-script based analysis results, see summary at Log4j CVE-2021-44228, CVE-2021-45046 Summary Page

• Added hashes for versions 2.12.2 and 2.16.0
  • Add 2.15.0 as “Potentially Vulnerable”.
  • Exclude 2.12.2 as “Potentially Vulnerable”.

Again, with the forward work focusing on Logpresso, this scan method and analysis result are mostly deprecated but may still be useful so I have not removed them.

I think you may have a problem launching the scan. I’d still expect an output to be created.

Logpresso CVE-2021-44228 Vulnerability Scanner 1.7.0 (2021-12-17)
Scanning directory: / (without /cdrom, /dev, /mnt, /proc, /sys, /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset, /sys/fs/cgroup/devices, /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer, /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb, /sys/fs/cgroup/memory, /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio, /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event, /sys/fs/cgroup/pids, /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd, /tmp, /dev, /dev/shm, /run, /sys/fs/cgroup, /run/user/1000, /media/cdrom)
Skipping broken jar file /home/jason/log4j-core-2.13.0.jar ('zip file is empty')

Scanned 13992 directories and 161362 files
Found 0 vulnerable files
Found 0 potentially vulnerable files
Found 0 mitigated files

This output is for a file that is supposed to be 2.16.0:

>log4j2-scan.exe c:\REDACTED\sqldeveloper-21.4.1.349.1822-x64\sqldeveloper\lib\log4j-core.jar
Scanning directory: c:\REDACTED\sqldeveloper-21.4.1.349.1822-x64\sqldeveloper\lib\log4j-core.jar

Scanned 0 directories and 1 files
Found 0 vulnerable files
Found 0 mitigated files
Completed in 0.02 seconds

Ok with a non-vulnerable version I think that’s the expected output.
You might try adding the --trace parameter if you’d like to test that it really is examining the file, or scan a vulnerable version alongside it, but that output looks good to me.

1 Like

(and, I gotta say I hope I never have to deal with the vendor stripping the version numbers off of the filename)

1 Like

Third CVE
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-4104

This one affects Log4j 1.x in specific non-default configurations. We are aware of this. Current guidance is to upgrade to 2.16.0, I’m not expecting workarounds in the end-of-life 1.x versions.

1 Like

Jason, Was the entry for 2.16 added as a match that means you are on the latest version whereas the all 2.15 entries and below mean - vulnerable?

Yes that’s right.

Also 2.12.2 is also considered “fixed”, where 2.12.2 supports JRE 7 while 2.16.0 requires JRE 8 or higher. Both are accounted for in the Analysis.

Thanks for the clarification. One other thing we noticed was a “not matched” verdict for 2.15 as follows:

C:\Program Files\Code42\lib\log4j-core-2.15.0.jar, 419a8512895971b7b4f4f33e620d361254e5c9552b904b0474b09ddd4a6a220b, Not Matched

It’s because the hash doesn’t match the one in the property (make sense). So I am wondering is there more than one version 2.15 out there or should we consider all other ones not matching ‘bad’?

We have quite a lot of “not matched” from libraries that at are binary-bundled with vendor apps.

Not sure if this was previously mentioned but the BFI 10.0.7 has the remediation for CVE-2021-44228: BigFix Inventory has a remediation for Log4j Vulnerability CVE 2021-44228

In addition for detecting the Log4j vulnerability in other products the BFI development team has created a separate post for custom template signatures:

1 Like

The logpresso scan utility does seem to find vulnerable versions bundled into other JAR files, but it won’t find those that have been compiled into a binary like an EXE but that is very very hard to detect.

@jgstew ran the logpresso task on a few windows and linux machines as a test. On the analyses side for windows I am seeing a few error results in the analysis:

The expression could not be evaluated: File error "classFileIOError" on "C:\Program Files(x86)\BigFix Enterprise\Bes CLient\BPS-Scans\results-log4j2-scan.txt": "Windows Error 0x20%: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another.

When I go to the system I can see the file exists.

Wondering if others are seeing this too?

1 Like

That probably indicates the scan was still running and had the file locked when the analysis was evaluated.
For a quick workaround, right-click those computers and “Send Refresh” to have them re-evaluate, or wait for the next evaluation period.
We should be able to new a new version of the Analysis out tomorrow to use ‘locked lines’ rather than ‘lines’ of file.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification on that. I am seeing results now from my Linux systems with some unbelievable elapsed times. Which seems to be more a product of the scanner itself vs the bigfix content. But is it really that quick? Here is the output from 2 linux systems one with affected files the other without.

Server 1:
File reads:
Scanning directory: / (without /cdrom, /dev, /mnt, /proc, /sys, /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset, /sys/fs/cgroup/devices, /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer, /sys/fs/cgroup/memory, /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio, /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event, /sys/fs/cgroup/pids, /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma, /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd, /sys/fs/cgroup/unified, /dev, /run, /dev/shm, /run/lock, /sys/fs/cgroup)

Scanned 21397 directories and 175881 files
Found 0 vulnerable files
Found 0 mitigated files
Completed in 1.26 seconds

Property Result = <none>

Server 2:
File Reads:
Scanning directory: / (without /cdrom, /dev, /mnt, /proc, /sys, /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct, /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset, /sys/fs/cgroup/devices, /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer, /sys/fs/cgroup/memory, /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio, /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event, /sys/fs/cgroup/pids, /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma, /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd, /sys/fs/cgroup/unified, /dev, /run, /dev/shm, /run/lock, /sys/fs/cgroup)
[] Found CVE-2021-44228 vulnerability in /usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/log4j-core-2.11.1.jar, log4j 2.11.1
[
] Found CVE-2021-44228 vulnerability in /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-sql-cli-7.9.1.jar, log4j 2.11.1

Scanned 7691 directories and 83105 files
    Found 2 vulnerable files
    Found 0 mitigated files
    Completed in 0.62 seconds

Property Result= 
    /usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/log4j-core-2.11.1.jar, log4j 2.11.1
    /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-sql-cli-7.9.1.jar, log4j 2.11.1
1 Like

Tested the scan on AIX and it doesn’t show any applicable machines on it. Any suggestions to modify so that a scan can be run?