Locks Screen Display off Timeout relevance

So looking for the relevance to find a key where the path changes slightly on every computer

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\0f3ad2ba-0119-43f5-a92b-abe48c6b8b17\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8ec4b3a5-6868-48c2-be75-4f3044be88a7]
“ACSettingIndex”=dword:00000384
"DCSettingIndex"=dword:00000258

The problem I am coming into is the key 0f3ad2ba-0119-43f5-a92b-abe48c6b8b17 is different for every computer. All the other information stays the same.

This key sets the Lock Screen Display Timeout on the pc if that is needed information.

Thanks in advance. Hope this makes sense

I recently had to look into this for my own organization, and the values are spread across the registry in the most confusing way possible.

This is what I came up with:
values "ACSettingIndex" of keys (following texts of last "\" of (values "regkeypathredirect" of keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Power\DisplayOffTimeoutPluggedIn" of native registry as string)) of keys "7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99" of keys (values "ActivePowerScheme" of keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\Default\PowerSchemes" of native registry as string) of keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" of native registry as string

Basically, the regkeypathredirect under DisplayOffTimeoutPluggedIn contains the first variable path you need, and the ActivePowerScheme contains the second variable you need. These two combined should, emphasis should, allow you to inspect for the value you’re looking for.

Also, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, the value is in hex but BigFix can report on it in decimal for a second based value, which is much easier for us humans to read.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply.

I might have not been totally clear but I am actually looking for the relevance on whether the two values for DCSettingIndex or ACSettingIndex under the key 8ec4b3a5-6868-48c2-be75-4f3044be88a7 exist. Can you help me determine the relevance of that? I tried just adding exist to the beginning of what you gave me but it came back false when the key is there.

Can you also show a screenshot of “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\Default\PowerSchemes” ?

What must be understood is that each of the GUIDs under User\PowerSchemes is a separate power scheme (“Balanced”, “High-Performance”, etc.) but first you need to know which scheme is currently Active. The value of “Active” under User\Default\PowerSchemes will be the GUID of the active power scheme, and that’s the GUID you need to find under User\PowerSchemes.

For example, in your screenshot the GUID starting with 0f3ad may not e the currently active power scheme anyway.

This is the picture of what you asked for. Just so you know, our facility does not use any of the windows default power profiles. The key that starts with 0f3ad is the one that shows our power policy name under Friendly name.

Thanks again for you

…almost there. Actually need User\Default\PowerSchemes, what you have is User\PowerSchemes\guid.

Sorry I thought I got that also

So it looks like the scheme you were checking in the registry is not the scheme that is active, which is why the relevance mwolf posted didn’t get the answer you expect.

not sure if you have seem this Analysis
https://bigfix.me/analysis/details/2998419

i also added
value “inactivitytimeoutsecs” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System” of registry as string

So I think I figured out what I needed. I am just looking to see how to write relevance to look for a key where one of the subkeys changes on each computer. This is what I used.

not exists key “8ec4b3a5-6868-48c2-be75-4f3044be88a7” whose (value “ACSettingIndex” of it = hexadecimal integer (“384”)) of keys of keys of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes” of registry

Thanks everyone for your help