License Metric Tool 9.2 EOS and HP_UX

Hello everyone, I would like to know if someone can help me with the following questions, given the end of BigFix platform support, we currently have the following environment:

We use sub-capacity licensing on our HP VM Integrity machines

ILMT version 9.2.24.0
Bigfix server 9.2.22.23
BES client (agent) 9.2.22.23 (HP-UX)

What is the recommended upgrade path that I should follow to maintain extended support and sub-capacity licensing?

Thanks in advanced.

I suggest you get in touch with IBM, since HP-UX technology will no longer be eligible for sub-capacity licensing at the end of this year. According to IBM policy, you will have 180 days after its removal to move to a supported technology to continue to use sub-capacity licensing. Schedule of removing items from the list of subcapacity eligible technologies

1 Like

Very good point!
Aside from the subcapacity use-case, see this note on our support extension for the 9.2 BigFix agent on HP-UX at BigFix v9.2 agent: support extension for HP-UX operating system

(The short version is, we continue to support the 9.2 HP-UX agent as much as possible, but need to upgrade the BigFix Platform (Server, Relays, etc.) to a current-supported BigFix version. 9.2 HP-UX agent can communicate to a 9.5 or 10.0 BigFix Server deployment)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer

1 Like

Thank you Jason, so we need to upgrade bigfix server from 9.2 to 9.5.
ILMT remains at version 9.2 as well as the agent right? We plan to move to another platform next year.

ILMT is in version 9.2.X stream, with 9.2.28 as the latest ILMT version available. It’s compatible with BigFix 9.2/9.5/10.X versions

1 Like

Thank you, I can upgrade to 9.5 Bigfix server from console, right?

You may be able to do so. Which upgrade Fixlet is relevant to your BigFix server?

1 Like

Only this options

You’ll need to follow the instructions here: Upgrading on Windows systems - Manual Upgrade

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi Boyd
Thank you very much for your help, if I have the bigfix and ilmt environment on a standalone server (Windows Server 2016, SQL Express 2017 its an small deployment), is the manual upgrade that simple?

What I see is running the installation generator and running a setup for the server, console.

In this case I don’t need to do anything on the clients (HP-UX virtual machines)?

Does the masthead file change?

Thank you in advance for your help

The SQL Express is likely going to be a problem. We don’t support Express for any of the BigFix databases, and there are some technical limitations to even running it without support.

When going from 9.2 to 9.5 or higher, the biggest change is our switch to UNICODE, which unfortunately roughly doubles the amount of database storage that’s used - that’s very likely to push beyond the database size limits of SQL Express.

Windows Server 2016 shouldn’t be a problem, but you’ll probably need to switch to a full version of SQL Server.

1 Like

Hi Ingrid - I agree with Jason regarding SQL Express. If you can switch to SQL Server Standard, it would be better. Future upgrades would not require manual effort.

As to your questions about the setup, you understand correctly. You won’t be changing the masthead, instead, you will choose to use the existing masthead when you run the installation generator.

Good luck with your efforts.

1 Like

Thank you very much Jason!

Thank you very much Boyd!