License differences - Client Device vs Managed Virtual Server

hi everyone,

i didn’t understand and can’t find answer for it.

i saw that one of my expired Entitlements was for 2000 Client device and one active Entitlements is MVS.

MVS is for windows OS right? so what is the Client Device for?

thanks!

These are metrics used to license BigFix. Their definitions are in the license agreement, which I’ve copied below. Basically a Client Device is an end user workstation or laptop, while an MVS refers to an unpartitioned physical server or a virtual machine on a partitioned server.

Client Device
Client Device is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. A Client Device is a single user device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from or provides data to another computer system that is typically referred to as a server or is otherwise managed by the server. Multiple Client Devices may share access to a common server. A Client Device may have some processing capability or be programmable to allow a user to do work. Examples include, but are not limited to actuators, appliances, automated teller machines, automatic meter readers, cash registers, disk drives, desktop computers, kiosks, notebook computers, personal digital assistant, point-of-sale terminals, sensors, smart meters, tape drives, and technical workstations. Licensee must obtain entitlements for every Client Device which runs, provides data to, uses services provided by, or otherwise accesses the Program and for every other computer or server on which the Program is installed.

Managed Virtual Server (MVS)
A MVS is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. A server is a physical computer that is comprised of processing units, memory, and input/output capabilities and that executes requested procedures, commands, or applications for one or more users or client devices. Where racks, blade enclosures, or other similar equipment is being employed, each separable physical device (for example, a blade or a rack-mounted device) that has the required components is considered itself a separate server. A virtual server is either a virtual computer created by partitioning the resources available to a physical server or an unpartitioned physical server. Licensee must obtain MVS entitlements for each virtual server managed by the Program.

1 Like