Lenovo System Update Utility is not working from the Bigfix

Hello Everyone,

I need to update the drivers and firmware through Lenovo System Update Utility. So my command is working fine when I am running it through cmd as admin. But when I am running it through Bigfix it is getting completed with exit code 1 and dirvers not getting update. Below are the things I checked:

1. Executed the command through PSEXEC utility to check this with system account it launched a process with name “tvsukernal.exe” But in Process that process is launched from user account (Attaching the Screen Shot of the same).

Through the PSEXEC utility its working fine however process is running from current user so is there any feasibility to run it through BigFix if user is not logged into the machine.

Stuck with the same issue @JasonWalker can you please advice on this,

What ActionScript are you using? Why is it running under a user account? Are you using silent install parameters?

Geniuinely curious, are there a reasons that you use Lenovo system update utility instead of Lenovo commercial vantage? Commercial vantage lets you have control over which the machine updates gets by way of policies and we felt like we lost that control over drivers and firmware updates with system update and Lenovo vantage.

Hi Jason, below is the action script that we are using:

action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system} waithidden "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe" /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,3,4,5 -noreboot -noicon -nocancel -nocontinueafterreboot -exporttowmi -log C:\CNO\LENOVO\Systemupdate.log parameter "pause1-1min" = "{now as string}" pause while {(now - ((parameter "pause1-1min") as time)) < 5 * minute} // End Wait 1 minute

Why is it running under a user account? For this we are not sure it might be the functionality of this Lenovo system update utility that it is launching the process from user.

Yes, we are using silent install parameters as provided into Lenovo system update guide.

Hi Jstev,

Earlier we were using Lenovo thininstaller for this purpose but there is lot of manual work with that one and Lenovo system update gets the required drivers and firmware’s automatically that’s because we are trying to use this one.

And also, we are not much aware about Lenovo commercial vantage. Is there any URL or guide in which we can look to understand the functionality of this?

I’d check the log file that it’s generating at C:\CNO\LENOVO\Systemupdate.log to see what errors, if any, are reported.

When you see the process running under the user account, was that an action sent from the server, or are you just testing this in the Fixlet Debugger? The Fixlet Debugger will launch processes under your user account, but an action from the server should not.

Here you go.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/hf003321-lenovo-vantage-for-enterprise

https://blog.lenovocdrt.com/#/

1 Like

It’s not generated the log. And when I have seen the process under the user account action was launched from fixlet debugger.
While we are directly sending the task wait command from server it is not launching that process. But while we are trying to run it override wait, runas=currenuser then its launching the process.

I’m not at all familiar with the Lenovo utility, but quoting command-line parameters can be somewhat tricky. I usually rely on the custom quote handling provided by cmd.exe. I’d try running this as

action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system}
waithidden cmd.exe /c ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe" /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,3,4,5 -noreboot -noicon -nocancel -nocontinueafterreboot -exporttowmi -log C:\CNO\LENOVO\Systemupdate.log"
parameter "pause1-1min" = "{now as string}"
pause while {(now - ((parameter "pause1-1min") as time)) < 5 * minute} 
// End Wait 1 minute

Hi @mishravk23

I have the same problem. I tried to update our computers with Lenovo System Update but cant figure out how we have to use it silently without interactive login. After a lot of failed attempt I found a powershell module, and its working very well.

I embeded in a task and deployed multiple times, always sucessfully.