Labs Spotlight: Relevance Builder

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Some more detail about my personal favorite feature in labs:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/a1a33778-88b7-452a-9133-c955812f8910/entry/labs_spotlight_relevance_builder75?lang=en

-Zak

(imported comment written by PaulPhillabaum)

I added the dashboard version of this you released some time ago. Will it interfere with the lab’s version?

Or the labs in general? My licensing overview doesn’t show the labs notice.

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

One of our console operators had installed it on their own before we enabled the BigFix Labs site. It did create a conflict. The relevance builder wouldn’t launch from the labs dashboard (Singular expression refers to non-unique object error). The relevance appears to be looking for the dashboard’s .ojo file and the non-unique error is thrown because there are two.

(imported comment written by MarkA.Stevens)

We are getting the following error. Is there a fix/place to go to see a fix?

An error occurred while evaluating relevance.

Singular expression refers to non-unique object.

02/29/2012 08:39:59.209

ERROR

ComponentLibrary.js

BFEvaluateRelevance Error: Singular expression refers to non-unique object.

onSuccess:

relevance: unique values of (it as string) of id of site of bes wizards whose (dashboard id of it = “RelevanceBuilder.ojo”)

Thank you for your time …Mark A. Stevens

Do you know how they uninstalled the old version?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

bah, damn “non-unique object” error. Bane of my life.

You can remove the standalone version of the dashboard by going into the “all content” domain of the console, and in the tree browse to Sites->Custom Sites->(name of the custom site you put the dashboard in)->Files. You’ll see a list of all the files inlcuded in teh site, just select them and hit “remove from site”

-Zak

Paul P

Or the labs in general? My licensing overview doesn’t show the labs notice.

Does the license overview dashboard mention you have an updated license (should be a big red message at the top)? You have to use the besadmin tool to deploy your updated license before you’ll see the labs section.

-Zak

Zak Kus

Does the license overview dashboard mention you have an updated license (should be a big red message at the top)?

No, it does not. Not even a little red message.

For anyone else having the same issue as Paul, It turns out that there is a class of “old school” licenses that didn’t get updated when we enabled labs. If you are not seeing labs show up on your overview dashboard, send me an email with your license serial number and i can get it enabled for you.

-Zak

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

Hi Zak, is there any update yet for deployments that can’t get through a proxy server?

To get labs to work, you have to be able to contact IBM’s ISM website. If your proxy is blocking this, you have to open enable access to this page, or enable labs from a machine not bound by the proxy. I hope to remove this restriction, but this is unfortunately the way it is for the mid term.

-Zak

We have the labs site working with the exception of the Windows 7 Migration Assessment, which does not allow us to click the Enable Lab Site. Andy ideas how to fix that one?

(imported comment written by bkone91)

So can this be used to create relevance for SuSE Linux? I see the items that are highlighted appear to reference Windows but wanted to know if it is worth installing to create relevance for SuSE Linux as well?

Relevance builder is suppose to just help you build relevance. In principle relevance is OS agnostic, so you can create a relevance expression and run it anywhere. However in practice there are of course some inspectors (like “registry”) that only give you results on certain OSes.

That being said, the relevance builder is probably biased towards windows specific concepts (partly because thats the most common agent, and partly because of my personal bias ^_^). I would say check it out, and if there are useful unix concepts that you think it should have, let me know.

Also note you can get the relevance builder now through the bigfix labs site: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=8699