Kill a program to continue installation

Dear Team ,

i’ve a scenario where VLC won’t install to computer because our antivirus is causing some issues , the installation continues if i end task the process “regsvr32.exe” . in VLC this is the line that prevent the installation :
Execute: regsvr32.exe /s “C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\axvlc.dll”

this regsvr32.exe is located in :C:\Windows\SysWOW64

i just wanted to know if there is any worakaround i can do from bigfix to kill this process if it is run

thank you

you can use below to kill the task.

if {exists names whose (it starts with "regsvr32") of processes}
    waithidden taskkill.exe /IM "regsvr32.exe" /T /F
    endif

OR

if {exists running application "regsvr32.exe"}
waithidden taskkill.exe /f /im regsvr32.exe
endif
1 Like

So that’s in the 32-bit system folder.

Have you tried disabling 64 to 32 bit redirection?

2 Likes

thank you , the issue is that i’m deploying the app through a waithidden command line , that line will not complete as this process “regsvr32.exe” kicks in when executing the command i’m wondering howi can let BigFix just kill that process /app while the previous command is still running

yes , but the issue is i want to kill the process that kicks in while installing a program , not sure how to chieve this

Just odd that it kicks off the 32 bit regsvr32.

On a phone now, so I can’t check, but should there be a /s or similar to run regsvr32 silently ( i.e. is it putting up a hidden confirmation dialog)?

1 Like

I’m not certain this is the correct approach, and you should check with your antivirus vendor. Interrupting VLC’s codec installation may leave VLC unusable or even corrupt other codec installations.

2 Likes