Java upgrade and relevance

(imported topic written by HankDorsett)

Does anyone else have issues with the relevance and Java? I have serveral systems that still show Java issues after upgrading them. According to ID 1407601 Java 6.23 and older are bad and I’m running 6.32.

Is there a place to submit this as a bug to get it fixed?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hello -

I am having issues with downloading and applying the patches. Then when that action fails, the patch appears to be flagged as “Not Relevant” for all of my pilot machines.

Did you ever get an answer to your question?

Thanks!

Aaron

(imported comment written by Xie_Ran91)

Can you provide the client log so that we can investigate?

You may find the log at: BES Client Installation root__BESData__Global\Logs\

Hello Xie_Ran91 -

I found the fix for the first part. My file sizes changed after I downloaded them. I got around that by using the TEM server to download the fixes. And this time I avoided executing the files to test them. I ran the SHA1.exe tool to confirm I had what I needed, then I moved them to D:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\sha1\ on the server and renamed the file names to be the SHA1 hash value.

For the second part, installing 32-bit Java on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional SP1 seems to throw a UAC prompt with the default fixlet (8.2.1175.0). The Fixlet is called “Java Runtime Environment 6 update 33 (32-bit) Available (JRE 6 32-bit version Installed) (x64)”. It throws the standard elevation prompt if the user is a local admin, and it throws an elevation prompt for credentials is the user is a standard user. I’d rather not disable UAC just to get Java to update. Any ideas? Should I try Java 64-bit? It is nice to have Java 32-bit so that it works with the 32-bit web browsers (IE9, Firefox, Chrome).

Thanks!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Installing JRE 32-bit on a 64-bit system has some limitations. Due to the nature of the installer it is run as the current user (using RunAsCurrentUser.exe) which fails if the UAC is enabled.

You can look at this forum post for more details: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14761815&#14761815

The 64 bit install fixlet should work with no issues.

Thanks,

Mayank