Java Runtime Environment - Multiple 32-bit JRE Versions Installed - J2SE 1.4.2 and Up (x64)

Hi Team @JasonWalker ,

I am having issue with the Fixlet “Bigfix fixlet Java Runtime Environment - Multiple 32-bit JRE Versions Installed - J2SE 1.4.2 and Up (x64)” (ID: 7057003). This Fixlet removed the older Java version keys form registry and from the Control Panel but not removing folder created for older Java versions.

We are using Baseline to upgrade and remove the older Java from the system, Installation and uninstallation Fixlets executed successfully. But it’s not removing Folder and associated files for older java.

If any one faced similar issue in past, Could you please help me to resolve this issue.

I believe the Fixlet should execute Oracle’s uninstaller for the older version, but it’s common for uninstallers to remove the files but leave folders behind - especially if there are files that aren’t listed in the installer package itself, like a customized cacerts or security policy file that you added or customized after the installation (and sometimes just the install or uninstall log).

Thanks Jason for prompt response.

I have tested the action script through Fixlet debugger and we are able to get the older version through bat file where we haven’t deploy the Baseline for upgrade and removal. Once we deploy the baseline, both the fixlets (install and uninstall) got completed successfully, and we haven’t see any old version in registry as well as in control panel. But old java folder still exists with all the subfolders and files. Now the uninstallation fixlet is not relevant on those machines.

It’s not for few systems , maximum system having same issuewhere we have 32 bit Java installed and reported in vulnerability scan report.

You may need to diagnose why the Oracle Java Uninstaller is not removing the files in your environment, then. The first step is to manually uninstall one of them using Add/Remove Programs, and see whether the directories get removed, or whether you get a warning that Java is in use, or any other helpful diagnostic.

It would be a big in the Oracle uninstaller if it’s removing the registry and control panel items, but leaving the binaries in place I believe.

There is also a Java installation type, I forget what it’s called - a private JRE I think. That type of installation is “just the files on the disk”, not shown in the Registry, and not associated system-wide. It’s meant to provide a runtime for another application, and must be patched with that application instead of running standalone updates.