I've run into a problem with the Re-Indexing of my SQL Database

I’ve been seeing a block of time from midnight though 1:30am-2:00am where no computers report to the Consoles. When I check the BufferDir folder, it’s full of hundreds of client report files.

I checked with our DBA Team and they tell me that there is a Re-Index process that runs at midnight and takes about 90 minutes to run. The Console shows no computers checking in between midnight and about 2am and this is causing issues for several of our groups of Admins.

Our database is 244,802 MB in size (43,627 MB Space Available) with a population of ~52k Endpoints and quite a few custom properties.

Digging around in the Forums, I found reference to running a Defragmentation of the database (referred to v6 & v7 of BigFix though), Database Defragmenting and Reindexing.

Is this still a viable option? Is there a better option? Apparently “defragmentation” doesn’t lock the database when it runs. I could then change the Re-Index job to run early on a weekend morning when there are not as many people trying to use the system. At least I could explain to those that might need it that it’s a weekly job that must be run rather than a nightly job.

I’d suggest having a look at the BigFix Maintenance Guide here: https://bigfix-mark.github.io/Docs/BigFix%20Maintenance%20Guide%20v10.x.2.pdf

Consider also perhaps re-scheduling this maintenance as needed. Additionally, please have a look at the following post as it could potentially also help a fair bit here: All Endpoints stop updating for a specific time of the day

1 Like