Issues with Microsoft Windows Security Updates October 2021 - 2012 R2(OS)

Hi All,

It seems there was an issue with Oct 21 monthly quality rollup patching. we installed the latest patches on two 2012 R2 servers and then rebooted. After that, they are all not booting up and stuck refresh\BCD screen error.

is anyone facing the issue who ever worked on 2012 R2 with Oct Patches…?

Regards
CHANDU

1 Like

I have three virtual machines exhibiting the same behavior. They are VMware VMs. Are you using the VMware Paravirtual SCSI driver? I am on all three of these VMs and the recovery-thing Command Prompt was not originally able to find my virtual HDD. I added a virtual LSI Logic SCSI adapter and moved the vHDD to it, and now the recovery-thing Command Prompt is able to see the data (C: is the Recovery partition, D: is my normal C: drive) but they are still unable to boot. The various safe mode, recovery modes, etc unfortunately do nothing.

Unfortunately I have no fix for you, but wanted to share a little about my environment and the troubleshooting I’ve done thus far in case we can figure out a solve.

Haven’t run through it yet, but I found a thread on reddit where the guy describes exactly what I am running in to and a fix. Apparently I’m not allowed to include a URL in my post because I just signed up for this forum to participate in this thread, but if you Google for the following it is the top result as of 10/15/2021 07:24am EDT:

reddit "Server 2012 R2 on ESXI 7.0 non-accessible boot device from Windows paravirtual SCSI patch"

Will report back once this works (or doesn’t).

1 Like

Yep, this guy hit the nail on the head. I am successfully booting these 3 VMware Paravirtual SCSI-backed VMs once again.

Hi, Chandu,
I am with similar problems,
Can you confirm if you also had the patch VMware, Inc. - SCSIAdapter - 1.3.18.0 ?

Regards

Can I ask the obvious question:

You are using Bigfix to Patch, but also have Windows updates enabled to pull direct from MS?

How did the system get the Microsoft published VM driver?

Well, truth be told, I have no idea what Bugfix is. I thought this was just a typical support-type forum. I just found this post in a Google search when I found 3 of my VMs dead this morning.

So yes, I use(d) Windows Update which is how my systems got in this state. I can’t speak to OP.