Is there a way to show all comments in the console or web reports?

Is there a way to pull just the comments from computers? None of the code listed on this page seems to do that. There must be a way to view the comments of multiple machines or show the comments as a column in WebReports or the console.

( Originally posted here: Web Report - Comments from Asset / Computer page? )

Have you tried https://developer.bigfix.com/relevance/reference/bes-computer.html#comment-of-bes-computer-bes-comment

Here is raw session relevance I created that should pull all the comments and relevant data from everything in the console: https://bigfix.me/relevance/details/3020165

( (names of authors of it, texts of it, timestamps of it) of item 0 of it, item 1 of it) of ( (comment of it, name of it) of bes fixlets whose(exists authors of comments of it) ; (comment of it, name of it) of bes actions whose(exists authors of comments of it) ; (comment of it, name of it) of bes computers whose(exists authors of comments of it) )

This could be used as the basis for a Web Report or a Console Dashboard or potentially other things as well.

This is also a slight modification from the original post by jessewk that seems interesting:

html concatenations "<br/>" of (html (it as string)) of (link of it, concatenation ";" of values of results (it, bes properties "Location by Subnet") , (if (exists comments of it) then (((if length of it = 1 then "0" & it as string else it as string) of (month of it as integer as string) & "-" & (if length of it = 1 then "0" & it as string else it as string) of (day_of_month of it as integer as string) & "-" & (year of it as string)) of date (local time zone) of timestamp of it & ": " & text of it) of comments of it else "No Comment")) of bes computers
1 Like

That code doesn’t seem to work. There’s no context to how to use that.

Where are you deploying that code? It doesn’t work as an analysis, in the Excel connector, or the Fixlet debugger.

The relevance provided is session relevance, not client relevance which all the other methods are using.

Session relevance can be used in REST, reporting and the console. Here’s a quick presentation of what it is http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27020831&aid=3

Is there any more current documentation? I found this sample custom report, but zero documentation on how to translate the properties into the reports. And zero documentation on what each of those lines does. How do I translate “comment of : bes comment” into something that works for this report. The best I can do is “The operator bes comments” is not defined

<BESWebReport> 
          <Name>Example Custom Report</Name> 
           <Type>CustomReport</Type> 
            <Data> <![CDATA[ 
                       <div>Computer Names</div> 
                       <?Relevance names of bes computers?> 
                      ]]> 
               </Data> 
   <SourcePage>ExploreComputers</SourcePage> 
</BESWebReport>

The session relevance I provided above is meant to be used in the BigFix Console Presentation Debugger, or the Session Relevance Tester, or Web Reports QnA directly. It could also be added to a custom Web Report by doing the following:

<?Relevance html concatenations "<br/>" of (html (it as string)) of (link of it, concatenation ";" of values of results (it, bes properties "Location by Subnet") , (if (exists comments of it) then (((if length of it = 1 then "0" & it as string else it as string) of (month of it as integer as string) & "-" & (if length of it = 1 then "0" & it as string else it as string) of (day_of_month of it as integer as string) & "-" & (year of it as string)) of date (local time zone) of timestamp of it & ": " & text of it) of comments of it else "No Comment")) of bes computers ?>

Sorry I didn’t see these replies until much later. Put @jgstew in a reply and I’m more likely to see it based upon how the forum software notifies me.

1 Like

I just made a console dashboard to search all computer comments based upon the above session relevance:

I also turned the exact same code into a custom web report: bigfix-content/webreports/ComputerComments.beswrpt at main · jgstew/bigfix-content · GitHub

3 Likes