Is there a way to edit relay.dat?

We are unable to utilize automatic relay selection in our org due to multiple issues. (~eyeroll~)
Because of that we manage relays manually across the board. My operators and admins are pretty good at managing the relay structure, and manually assigning via edit settings or directly on the endpoint via clientconfig or editing the reg.
The issue I am running into is that manual relay settings are case sensitive, or fqdn sensitive. I have relay names that include fqdn and matching ones that do not. If I try to change that relay to be consistent, one or the other option will not list on the relay selection dropdown. Is there a way to manually edit the relay.dat at the root level to force what is available on the relay selection list?
We also may be expanding the relay count from roughly 60 to over 700 (location based relays to help alleviate traffic). I would like to exclude those extra 600+ relays from the list as they will be hard coded at the endpoint for each location via config.

Example of what I see: (these are all the same relay, the option in relay.dat (right side)is all caps fqdn, the others are not)
relay

I do have custom fixlets to manually set relay configs also, but they are not flexible.

Note that the relays.dat file is not what is used to populate the drop-down box in the ‘Edit Computer Settings’ dialog box (which instead is populated based on the values returned by the ‘Relay’ property).

For a Client leveraging manual relay selection, the value returned by the ‘Relay’ property will be based on the Client’s configuration. So, if some have upper case, and others have lowercase characters for __RelayServer1/2, that can lead to the scenario you describe above. As you note, you’ll want to ensure consistent configuration if leveraging manual selection (both via the endpoint level, as well as via custom Fixlets).

As for the Relays.dat itself, you can firstly hide relays by setting _BESRelay_Selection_AutoSelectableRelay to 0 on the relays in question (see https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html for reference).

Additionally, you can control how a relay will populate in the relays.dat file via the _BESClient_Relay_NameOverride setting (for which we have Fixlets in BES Support to help as well).

Thanks Aram. So basically to control the relay names would basically be better management when assigning them to endpoints. We have set relays on the base image that cover 80% of all connections, but the firewalled vlans do require some kind of touching to set correctly. Unfortunately humans will human.

I will look into the listed fixlets. Thanks.