Is there a task for enabling Windows Automatic Updates?

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hi

Is there a fixlet or task to enable Windows Automatic Updates?

If there is, please instruct on how to retrieve it?

Thank You

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

still did not figure out

Try creating one with the following:

Relevance:

(name of it starts with 
"WinXP" or name of it = 
"WinVista" or name of it = 
"Win7") of operating system   and   ((

if exists value 
"NoAutoUpdate" of it then value 
"NoAutoUpdate" of it as integer 

else 0) of key 
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" of registry) != 0

Action:

regset 
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]" 
"AUOptions"=dword:00000004 regset 
"AUPowerManagement"=dword:00000001 regset 
"AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001 regset 
"IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000001 regset 
"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000000 regset 
"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000000 regset 
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000000 regset 
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000 regset 
"RebootWarningTimeout"=dword:0000000f regset 
"RebootWarningTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001 regset 
"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:00000001 regset 
"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001 regset 
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000 regset 
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000002

Of course you can change the settings to suit your needs.

Thanks Rames…your code relevance works.

Sometimes it’s easier to just have the file ready so here’s what i’ve put together based on Rames Response…

Thanks DanielHeth for compiling it into a file…

Hi,

I have used the same settings for commissioning server but window update showing patches will auto download & installed but as per testing on 2 servers of win2008, I am not seeing its even trying to download or install them.

Is there any way to see where is the road block & one more what if we want to roll back these changes which will be the common settings which needs to be modified.

any suggestions on this, please… for auto installation of patches from microsoft for decom servers.

Please suggest, I am using below action script but still server is not contacting & getting windows update.

if exists key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate” whose (value “DisableWindowsUpdateAcces” of it = 1) of native registry
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]” “DisableWindowsUpdateAcces”=dword:00000000
endif

if exists key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer” whose (value “NoWindowsUpdate” of it = 1) of native registry
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]” “NoWindowsUpdate”=dword:00000000
endif

if exists key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet” whose (value “DisableWindowsUpdateAccess” of it = 1) of native registry
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet]” “DisableWindowsUpdateAccess”=dword:00000000
endif

if exists key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate” whose (value “DisableWindowsUpdateAccess” of it = 1) of native registry
regset “[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]” “DisableWindowsUpdateAccess”=dword:00000000
endif

if exists key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU” whose (value “NoAutoUpdate” of it = 1) of native registry
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “NoAutoUpdate”=dword:00000000
endif

regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]” “AUOptions”=dword:00000004
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]” “AutoInstallMinorUpdates”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]” “IncludeRecommendedUpdates”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]” “ScheduledInstallDay”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]” “ScheduledInstallTime”=dword:00000002

regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “AUOptions”=dword:00000004
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “AUPowerManagement”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “AutoInstallMinorUpdates”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “IncludeRecommendedUpdates”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “NoAUShutdownOption”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “NoAutoUpdate”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “RebootWarningTimeout”=dword:0000000f
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “RebootWarningTimeoutEnabled”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “RescheduleWaitTime”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled”=dword:00000001
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “ScheduledInstallDay”=dword:00000000
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]” “ScheduledInstallTime”=dword:00000002

You realize you’re responding to a 5-year-old thread? I’ll help if I can, but please try to keep a few things in mind…

Please start a new thread for new problems. You’ll get better responses if people don’t have to scroll through old messages especially if they are not related to your problem.

As this is a BigFix forum rather than a Microsoft forum, I’d recommend you use BigFix to deploy your patches rather than Windows Update. In any case, it would be difficult for anyone here to troubleshoot why your machine cannot run Windows Update. (And note that very few of the forum users are IBM employees). You’ll get better responses on “How do I make BigFix set these registry key values” than on “What do I need to do to make Windows Update work?”

That said, assuming all of the registry keys that you’re trying to set are the correct keys and values, have you looked at the system to see if these are actually getting applied when you run the action? I’d suspect that the values are actually being written under the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies keys. As the BigFix client is a 32-bit application, the Registry reads/writes are redirected on 64-bit systems. Try regset64 rather than regset.

Thanks Jason for highlighting & responding on it !

Yes i know i was restarting the 5 year old post but it was very much similar to problem which I am trying to implement, I was looking for same task for decommissioning servers, BIGFIX server is there but not for server which are going to be decom.

Anyways thx for the suggestion I will keep in mind.