Is the BigFix Server Application 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hi BigFix community,

I am seeking clarification on whether the BigFix Server Application, specifically besrootserver.exe, is 32-bit or 64-bit. Upon inspecting its presence, I noted it is located in the “Program Files (x86)” folder in the Windows directory and wow6432node in the Windows registry, indicating it is a 32-bit application.

However, upon checking the Task Manager, it displays the application as 64-bit. Additionally, the compatibility of the .exe file indicates compatibility with operating systems from Windows Vista onwards, suggesting it is a 64-bit application.

Screenshots of both pieces of evidence are attached herewith for your reference. Can someone please provide accurate information on the architecture of the application with appropriate justification to alleviate any confusion?

The root server is 64bit, the client is 32bit. The 32bit folders and registry are used because it used to be 32bit in the past.

Indeed, I have been contemplating the same matter. Additionally, it has come to my attention that the BES Relay functions as a 32-bit application, despite incorporating certain features akin to those found in the BES Server. I am interested in understanding the rationale behind this design choice.

1 Like