IS BIGFIX ILMT mandate to deploy in infra?

Recently I heard that IBM mandate IBM BIGFIX ILMT to monitor & discover IBM tools licences in your BIGFIX infra but not able to find any info or communication over internet.

If anyone is aware please share the link or communication so that we can plan to install it in our infra.

ILMT Information is available here: http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/licensemetrictool

I am not an IBM employee and my views do not represent IBM

My understanding is that if you are using subcapacity licensing in any form or fashion you are required to run ILMT to report subcapacity licensing results.

Information on exclusions for certain types of organizations is listed here: https://www-01.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage/ibmlicensemetrictool.html

1 Like

Thanks strawgate I reviewed both links but its not mandate however recommended to have it to fetch out all IBM licence softwares details in infra for audit purpose.

If you are using subcapacity licensing – it is a mandate.

You should be able to verify with your IBM business partner or your sales rep if this is a required piece for your organization.

With HCL in the mix now, is there a “lite” version of BigFix for the sub capacity licensing mandate? We have a team that has this requirement and I was hoping there was a virtual appliance or some easy method for standing up.

1 Like

ILMT runs on a standard BigFix infrastructure. For a small environment, up to 5000 endpoints, a single server with 4 cores (2-3 GHz) and 8 GB of memory, along with a reasonable amount of storage, say 100GB, is sufficient for all components (BigFix Server, Database Server, LMT Server). It can run on RHEL or Windows, with the caveat that DB2 is used for RHEL and SQL Server for Windows.

Setup is straightforward, as you know, and documented here.

Understood, but this team wants to only need a few servers monitored for IBM license compliance.

I’ll ask in @aram on this, but my understanding is that you’re “in the clear” to install your normal BigFix client on these, as long as you only subscribe those specific clients to ILMT sites (ie no “Patches for Windows” or other premium content).

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m not communication my thoughts well. Picture a company with no BigFix infrastructure. This company has IBM products that require licenses compliance reporting (required by IBM). This company may expect a relatively easy installation that is suited for just this purpose (such as a virtual appliance build on Linux). the end result is that they are able to fill the IBM requirements and not put too much effort or management into the required licensing compliance.

At the least, a simple setup guide specific to this requirement.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah, I did indeed misunderstand. Apologies.

1 Like