IP Address (LInux)

This query works in Windows:

exists adapters whose (address of it as string = “10.10.12.171”) of network

It will return a true or false

I can’t seem to make it work on a Linux system. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

What OS specifically? Is it returning an error?

Your relevance appears to be working for me:

Can you confirm that the double-quotes are standard characters?

It’s Linux openSUSE Leap 42.3 running BigFix version 9.5.9.62. I can’t access the system but am using BigFix Query. It doesn’t error out, it just doesn’t return any results…

I’m trying to create a group membership based on that relevance and even though I see that the machines have that IP address, nothing shows up in the group.

yes, the double quotes are standard characters.

what do you get when you run the query: addresses of adapters of network as string against the box?

Does this Linux system run actions within a timely manner?

One possibility here is that the Clients are not receiving notifications, which is why it is not responding to Query requests, or adding itself to a dynamic group. Please see Clients Showing Not Reported for more details and recommendations.

I get this response from BigFix Query

This query returned no results for the targeted devices. Adjust the query or device selections, or return to the query list.

I can send blank actions to the machines and they respond within a normal time frame and are reporting.

I have another group that they are in based on the below relevance and they have no problem with that:

name of operating system starts with “Lin”

Do you perhaps have command polling enabled on these endpoints (which would enable the Client to run actions, but not evaluate queries)?

_BESClient_Comm_CommandPollEnable
_BESClient_Comm_CommandPollIntervalSeconds

We can troubleshoot further via the Client logs. If you can’t access them from the machine directly, you can run Client Diagnostics to upload the logs to the Root Server.

1 Like

Those are not enabled but after the threat of uploading the client log files to the server, it started working. Not sure why because nothing has changed. I appreciate the help and suggestions. Thanks!

I have a feeling that notifications are not making it to the endpoint (which caused the delay for the group membership, as well as prevented Query from working). Check out the new persistent connection configuration I reference above in case you want better responsiveness from such endpoints and the ability to run Query (or ensure that the endpoint is able to receive UDP notifications).

I will take a look at that. Thanks again!

You could test the theory that no queries are working by using the simplest query to the endpoint

True

it should return true.

3 Likes

thanks fo sharing this info. its helped to me.