iOS 7 - New Feature: Open in management - How to

(imported topic written by reneschmidt)

Can someone explain me how to configure this new feature in MDM ?

I have tried, but didn’t found out how to accomplish this.

Thanks.

PS: If someone didn’t know what I mean, take a look here:

(imported comment written by Miki.Zang)

This feature can be configured by creating a Restrictions profile from iOS Profile Configuration dashboard, and select “Allow open documents from managed to unmanaged apps” to allow documents in managed apps and accounts open in unmanaged apps and accounts. The default is to allow. If this option is de-selected, documents in managed apps and accounts will only open in other managed apps and account.

The option “Allow open documents from unmanaged apps to managed apps” allows documents in unmanaged apps and accounts to open in managed apps. The default is to allow. If this option is de-selected, documents in unmanaged apps and accounts will only open in other unmanaged apps and accounts.

(imported comment written by reneschmidt)

Yes. I found that out already. But how exactly is this working? I know, that I can flag an app with “managed app” in MDM. So my intention was to not allow for example open/save a pdf file attachment from the mailclient on ios to the dropbox app.

(imported comment written by rheng)

Any app that is installed through MDM is considered “managed.” The default mail app is pre-installed on all devices and cannot be installed as “managed.”

To accomplish your goal, you have two options:

You could have Dropbox installed as managed, and install a restrictions profile with
"Allow open documents from unmanaged apps to managed apps" unchecked. After everything is installed, the default mail client will not be able to open attachments in Dropbox.

You could also install a third party mail client as “managed”, and install a restrictions profile with
"Allow open documents from managed to unmanaged apps" unchecked. In this case, if Dropbox is not installed as managed, attachments cannot be opened it it.