Installing WinSCP silently

Normally this is a pretty simple and easy task. But they have added a prompted, which I am unsure how to bypass.

here the main line for running .exe
waithidden c:\windows\WinSCP-5.21.7-Setup.exe /s InstallAllUsers=1

Try running the installer with /?, /help, --help etc to get some hints

Seems like the args should be: /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP-

In Updates for Windows Applications Extended, we are using: wait __Download\WinSCP-Setup.exe /verysilent /allusers /norestart /nocloseapplications /MERGETASKS=!desktopicon

If you look at the analysis of the setup file on VirusTotal, you will see “This installation was built with Inno Setup.”

You will also see results for “TrID” and “DetectItEasy” on VirusTotal that both point to this being likely an Inno Setup based installer.

So then you would look for the silent install switches for Inno Setup based installers: https://jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index.php?topic=setupcmdline

There are generally about 6 different types of EXE installers. Once you figure out which type you are dealing with, that dictates what the typical silent install commands SHOULD be, but then there can be some application specific additions that might be required depending on what you want as the outcome.

2 Likes

so line would be

waithidden c:\windows\WinSCP-5.21.7-Setup.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP-

I would strongly recommend against running it from this folder. You would either want to run it from the client __Download folder, or you would want to run it from C:\Windows\Temp

In Updates for Windows Applications Extended, we are using:

wait __Download\WinSCP-Setup.exe /verysilent /allusers /norestart /nocloseapplications /MERGETASKS=!desktopicon

This doesn’t have all the items mentioned, but has some extras. Some of these options for InnoSetup are optional. Also they are often case insensitive, though that is NOT the case with /S for some installer types, but that doesn’t apply in this case.

1 Like

makes sense, i probably will use temp

This seems to work, thanks a bunch

1 Like