Installing besclient without starting service

Couple of the links are no longer valid and I found this but the client does not install using the commandline arguments:

Removing the masthead as suggested does not install the client at all.

Would like to have this installed so we can create a sysprep/template image.

Any suggestions?

Thx
Neville

Looking in the MSI there is a property STARTAGENTSERVICE that defaults to 1. Maybe if you pass that property on the command line to set the value to 0, that will prevent the agent from auto starting after install (it will still be set to automatic start so it will start if you reboot the machine.

eg, msiexec.exe /i BigFixAgent.msi STARTAGENTSERVICE=0 /qb /norestart

Thx for replying SLB. Yes I see mention of that property and I have tried it as a cmd arg with setup.exe but maybe it only works with the msi client? I need to use setup.exe with clientsetting file.

I think this should work for the setup.exe installer

setup.exe /S /V"/qb STARTAGENTSERVICE=0 /norestart"

1 Like

If the intention is to create an image with the BigFix Client pre-installed on it, please have a look at the following knowledgebase article:

https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sys_id=1406a7041b617f4077761fc58d4bcb64

That worked perfectly !!! Thank you SLB

We have this run before powering off the VM to make it a template:

net stop besclient
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v RegCount /f
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v ReportSequenceNumber /f
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v ComputerID /f
rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData"
rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\KeyStorage"
1 Like