Installed OS Deployment Servers are no longer visible

Hi,

After a BigFix environment upgrade, Installed OS Deployment Servers are no longer visible in Bare Metal OS Server Manager. Can this be recovered or does the Bare Metal Server have to be manually uninstalled and then re-installed? Is it possible to avoid this situation for future upgrades?

Thanks

Did you do a masthead switch (moving the clients from one Bigfix environment to another)? I’ve never had my OSD servers disappear in the course of normal upgrades.

Ensure the Analyses from the “OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging” site are active, and that the Management Extender and Bare Metal Plug-ins are installed on the Bare Metal Servers.

If it does occur that you need to reinstall the Bare Metal Servers, note you should be able to do this without losing data. The Bare Metal Uninstall and Bare Metal Server Installation do not purge the database unless you run the task to “Cleanup bare metal server uninstall”.

No environment switch. To my knowledge just an upgrade. I’ll check the analysis. The problem is the uninstall can’t be done from the console because the server does not display. Perhaps just an install on the existing Bare Metal Server?

I found the following basic steps for a manual uninstall. Sounds like I shouldn’t run the fixlet.

To manually remove the BigFix Bare Metal Server run the following

1. Add/Remove programs and remove BigFix Bare Metal Server service
  2. Go to BigFix console and run fixlet ID 134 OS Deployment and Bare
    Metal Imaging Site
    134 Bare Metal Server Clean Up Post Uninstall or Install Failure

Use this task only when you want to avoid system inconsistencies that might occur after a failure or when the installation or uninstallation task processing is incomplete.

Right, you should only run Task 134 as a last resort (it removes the data associated with images, bare metal targets, action history, etc.)

In the OSD site, does Analysis 50 “OS Deployment Server Information” have any results?

Yes, it’s activated and has results. I tested a deploy and it works fine. The only problem appears to be Bare Metal server does not display in the console.

This also happened to me. I had just upgraded the root server, but had not done the relay or client on the OSD server. Having spent hours trying to fix it, I ran the relay upgrade fixlet (3312) and the bare metal server re-appeared.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’ll give that a try.

I ran the relay upgrade fixlet (which also upgraded the client), unfortunately the Bare Metal Server still does not display.

Hello,
which is the BigFix platform version you upgrade from/to?
Which is the current version of relay/client on bare metal server?
I suggest to open a case for OSD support.

Hi, obvious question but just confirming your Bare Metal Servers are still subscribed to the OS bare metal and Imaging site? Cheers

Hi paco,
yes, they have to be subscribed to the site

The upgrade was from v9.5.3 to v9.5.10. relay/client on OSD server were upgraded to v9.5.10 as well. I have opened a case with OSD, but not making any progress.

According to health checks the BigFix Server is currently subscribed to the OS Deployment site.

thanks.

However, I don’t see the Bare Metal Server subscribed to the OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging site. I’m not sure how that’s done.

What does the Site Subscription Criteria look like?
When you select the OSD site in the left-hand pane of the “All Content” domain, by default it looks like this:

The part I highlight shows that I have not specified any custom criteria for the site, and all clients that meet the BigFix -provided “External Subscription Constraints” will subscribe to the site.

Compare with this Beta site, for which I have specified an additional (local) subscription criteria -

You may find that in your deployment there is a custom subscription criteria defined and you would need to modify that criteria (which requires logging in as a Master Operator)

It currently just has the External Subscription Constraints.