Install Bigfix Client in a WICD PPKG File

Hello,

I’m trying to install the BF client as part of a Windows Configuration Designer PPKG package. Every step works fine, except for this install. It seems to fail immediately. I don’t know where the PPKG file keeps its log files, so I can’t see why. Has anyone been able to do this?

Thanks

1 Like

Do you need the client to connect to the BigFix Server or Relay?

1 Like

as long as the computer you are doing this on has connectivity and access to a relay in your environment that does not have relay authentication enabled (on the internal network generally) then you might be able to use this to install it: tools/powershell/install_bigfix.ps1 at master · jgstew/tools · GitHub

I don’t remember if I have tested this specifically or not.

You can provide the relay FQDN as a parameter to the script, or you could make a custom copy and hard code it in the script for your use case.

My install scripts do 4 things:

• Download the appropriate agent from the BigFix website
  • Download the masthead from the provided relay FQDN or relay
  • Set the provided relay FQDN as the fallback relay in the clientsettings.cfg
  • Set other default settings in the clientsettings.cfg to enhance client initial performance and spin up time.
    • in the case of Linux, it also allows the clientsettings.cfg to work even though it is not technically supported on those platforms.

See here:

These scripts really should be enhanced to validate the SHA256 hash of the downloaded client installer, but that is not currently in place.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I couldn’t get them to work.

Can you provide more details about how you executed them?

Did you hard code a relay inside the script? or pass it as the first parameter?

I used the relay as a parameter. I think I goofed up the selections for the CFG section, adding our stuff intermixed with what you had provided. Wonderful script.

I added a line to insert the CID, but it didn’t take for some reason when the script created the CFG file. That the first line of the CFG file.

I got it to work. Typos on my end were the cause.

The script didn’t like when I tried to hard code the Relay FQDN, despite providing both an FQDN and a URL.

2 Likes