Insights Question

When attempting to add the insights datasource, I add the BigFix server info, specify the Windows account and password, specify port 1434 and then get an error message “The WebUI connection to the Insights server has timedout”. Not sure I understand this, I was able to successfully create the BFInsights database earlier. If anyone could provide some information about this error it would be appreciated. I know its not a network, firewall or sql permission issue.

Are you using a named instance? Did you include the instance name in the configuration settings (something like server.org\instance)?

Is TCP enabled in the SQL Server Configuration Manager?

NO we are using the default instance, TCP named pipes are both enabled. Should I be targeting the replica BFEnterprise database and NOT the BigFix server itself?

Just to ensure I understand, are you at the screen to ‘Connect to BigFix Insights Database’ (which seems to be the case based on your description, but I want to be sure), or are you trying to add a datasource?

If the former, you should be targeting the SQL Server that contains the BFInsights database (if one exists), or the SQL Server where you want to create the BFInsights DB.

Whichever machine you target, you may want to look at port 1433, as this is the default port for the default instance of SQL Server.

1 Like