Inconsistent results from software deployment

Hi all. I am using Big Fix version 9.25. Im having an issue where im deploying RPMs to machines and the job is completing on some of the machine, stalling on others and failing on some. The strange thing is that when the rpm is installed manually, it is successfully every single time. I have even stop the job and force install the RPM and again, it successfully installed. Can anyone tell me if they have run into an issue like this?

I’ve seen something similar a long time ago when deploying a lot of actions at once, but nothing specific to RPM. Redeploying it seemed to work. Did you check the client logs to see if there’s anything that stands out?

I did, but couldn’t find any consistencies in why the job failed on some and not others.

Can you verify manually that the rpm is actually not installed after the SWD task completes? We’ve seen issues where packages install, but the action is marked as Failed because of the way the BES Client handles caching of the rpm database (it can take some time before the client sees that RPMs have been updated).

yes, I have verified that the task while says it’s complete, the rpm did not install.

A default SWD task will always report “complete” because it cannot accurately determine if something is installed properly or not. “Complete” just means that it ran all the lines of actionscript; it doesn’t evaluate if the task remains relevant at the end. It’s up to the user to modify the task (relevance, actionscript, action success criteria) in order to achieve exactly what they want.

Additionally, there are SWD logs that you can check to see if it reveals anything: <BES Client folder>/__BESData/__Global/SWDDeployData