In-place upgrade

We need to upgrade computers from Windows 7 -> Windows 10 1809 and Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10 1809.
When I look at the task Windows in-place upgrade, there are no computer applicaple.
But we do have a lot of computers with BigFix client and Windows 7 or 8.1.
OSD is working and I can choose the image in the fixlet.
Is there something else we need to do so computer will be applicaple in the fixlet ?

Hi,
in the tab “details” of the in-place upgrade fixlet, you can find the relevances that must be all verified for the computer to be reported as relevant (applicable) for that fixlet.
For example:
version of client >= “9.2.5” as version
(this says that the version of the bigfix client running on the computer must be 9.2.5 or later)
Could you please check the relevances to see which is the one (or ones) that are making the computers not relevant for in-place upgrade fixlet (so they are “false” on that computers)?
Thanks.

Sergio_tarachi thank you for your answer.
The clients have higher version then 9.2.5.

There is also a relevance: (exists property “in proxy agent context”) then (device type = “Bare Metal Target”)
Do I have to configure the BigFix client on the Machines with a proxy agent ?

Hi,
no, you don’t have to install the proxy agent.
I suggest to identify a computer where you expect the fixlet to be applicable but it’s not and identify which is the relevance evaluated to false.
You can leverage on FixletDebugger (it’s on the console computer by default in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Console\QnA) to run each of them separately on the target computer to see which one is False.
Thanks.

Thanks I will try that. Will let you know.

I get false in Kernel32.dll version. I am testing this on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 virtual machines.

Do you mean the relevance:
((name of it = “Win7” AND version of it = “6.1.7601”) OR (name of it = “Win8”) OR (name of it = “Win8.1” AND version of file “kernel32.dll” of system folder >= “6.3.9600.17031”) OR (name of it = “Win10”)) of operating system
?
Could you please also send the result for the queries:

1. name of operating system
  2. version of operating system
  3. version of file “kernel32.dll” of system folder
    Thanks.
1 Like

Thank you, I will send it now. Heres the one from the Win 7 machine.

Name of operating system
A: Win7

Version of operating system:
A: 6.1.7601

Version of file “Kernel32.dll” of system folder
A: 6.1.7601.17514

Hi, with this answers the evaluation of the entire relevance should be True:
((name of it = “Win7” AND version of it = “6.1.7601”) OR (name of it = “Win8”) OR (name of it = “Win8.1” AND version of file “kernel32.dll” of system folder >= “6.3.9600.17031”) OR (name of it = “Win10”)) of operating system
If confirmed that on the same computer it’s evaluated as False, I suggest to open a ticket to the product support while, if it’s True, we have to search why it’s not totally relevant in another of the clauses of the relevance.
Thanks.

I tried this again on Virtual Win 7 and Win 8.1 computer and both answered false. I tried this one my host computer which is Windows 10 1809 and then it answered True.
One thing I forgot to mention the task it self is with a grey text, is it grey because there are no computer applicable ?
Why is the Windows 10 1809 computer answering true ? But it does not show up as a relevant computer in BigFix for this task though.

Hello,
fixlets with not applicable computers are displayed as grayed.
If I correctly understand, Windows 10 1809 reports True for the relevance “((name of it = …)) of operating system” but it could finally not be relevant for the fixlet because of the other members of global relevance (one of them should be False).
I suggest to open a ticket for the support.
Could you please send a screenshot of the fixletdebugger with the three questions:
q: name of operating system
q: version of operating system
q: ((name of it = “Win7” AND version of it = “6.1.7601”) OR (name of it = “Win8”) OR (name of it = “Win8.1” AND version of file “kernel32.dll” of system folder >= “6.3.9600.17031”) OR (name of it = “Win10”)) of operating system
If it answers Win7, 6.1.7601 and False it’s something that needs product support.
Thanks.

Thank you for all your help sergio_tarchi I will do that.