In Place Upgrade Feature

Hi all,

Is it possible to use BigFix with the in-place upgrade option to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 while bypassing TPM v2?
I double-checked the Windows 11 eligibility dashboard and found that most of the PCs on my side don’t have TPM and cannot be enabled.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue before?

Thanks
Mohamed

Hello.
If you use BigFix OSD for the in-place upgrade (e.g. fixlet 202 of “OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging” site), this will not bypass the Microsoft checks for eligibility of the target computer to be upgraded to Windows 11.
Thanks.
Sergio
BigFix OSD L3 support

Hi Sergio ,

So that’s mean there is now way to use Bigfix to do that without bypass TPM or custom fixlet can do that

Thanks
Mohamed

That’s correct, BigFix can not change the Windows 11 requirement for Secure Boot and TPM Module.

I have read about various installer hacks / tricks that might be able to get the installer to work, but one would end up with an unsupported configuration on the Microsoft side, something that could likely break with any given month’s security update. Not the kind of thing we’d want to support in an Enterprise environment for sure.

On the plus side, you have some concrete reasons to advocate for buying newer computers.

1 Like

Thanks Jason for clarification

It’s not supported but there are regkeys to bypass the setup assistant checker when performing an in-place upgrade:

regset64 “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\LabConfig]” “BypassCPUCheck”=dword:00000001 regset64 “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]” “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU”=dword:00000001

Hi Dyamamoto,

Did U test that before

Yes, it’s been over a year since I tested it on one Dell device. My test involved skipping the Windows assistant checker for CPU, not TPM. My test device had a Intel 7th gen CPU and TPM 2.0. The device had existing Win11 driver support from Dell.

I’m not running this in production. This is unsupported so move ahead at your own risk.