Impact of Application Usage Information

Hi All, recently I started running the SUA to track Internet Explorer in my company. Unfortunately there were calls made that complain of PC slowness and applications hanging so I had to terminate the tracking. What I like to check is that how much impact will this SUA cause to machines?

Additional info: only 1 particular department was affected with this slowdown and the applications they were using did not rely on IE as well

Hello,
Can you describe the scenario more detailed? What have you exactly done and how. Thanks!

Hi Michal, I realized I actually made a mistake in the posting, it wasn’t SUA but actually Application Usage Information under Inventory Management. Its from the System Lifecycle tab. Guess i better reassign this to Uncatergorized as I don’t see any categories for System Lifecycle stuff

For the Application Usage Information all I did was to set tracking for Internet Explorer. It ran from morning till late afternoon, that was when I was notified of the slowness so I stopped the tracking from running.

1 Like

I’m not sure why enabling the tracking would cause this issue.

Did you get a list of processes that were taking up CPU on the client machines?

The maximum CPU used should be limited by the Client Settings if it was the BESClient process itself taking up the CPU.

“SUA” is sort of the correct category.

There are really 4 separate things that sort of fall under the “SUA” category.

The “Application Usage Information” is an early thing that you had to enable on a per application basis. Might not technically be “SUA” but it seems to be a pre-cursor.

Then there is what is called “SUA 1.x”, “SUA 2.x” and “SUA 9.x”. “SUA 1.x” is not really connected to any of the others and has a different feature set.

“SUA 9.x” is really the update of “SUA 2.x” but it had different compatibility for a time period, and there are some significant changes, the biggest being that it is supposed to be a super set of “SUA 2.x” plus “ILMT” & “TAD4D”, plus other additional features and enhancements.

All of this makes “SUA” a fairly ambiguous term.

The application usage tracking is done by the client and is only a small extra part when it does its process examination but it does cause file writes, though if you only enabled Internet Explorer it would be a small amount of writing. I would not expect any slowdown because of this.

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for your input!

Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve any information from any of the affected machines, i guess the fastest way would be to run it again on one of the pc/laptop from the affected department and observe. I’ll update when I get some new information.

EDIT:
One more question, I am not sure how to narrow down the no. of computers taking part in the usage analysis, when I start the tracking it seems to be targeting all computers that is reporting to BigFix. Do I have manually set the target fewer machines to rectify this?

1 Like