ILMT / SUA – REST API – Full access to Computer_Systems Attributes

When using the ILMT / SUA REST API, I can get the list of computer systems via a call to ‘/api/sam/computer_systems’, but not all attributes are returning the values.
I have made the following observations:
01. Some virtual machines have “hardware_manufacturer”:"-",“hardware_model”:"-" while hardware_serial_number is set to its Physical host name while others will return data in these fields.
Example of VM returning incomplete data:
{“id”:1,“parent_id”:10,“type”:“virtual”,“os”:“Linux Red Hat Enterprise Server 6.5 (2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64)”,“host_name”:“ExampleHost.com”,“dns_name”:“ExampleHost.com”,“ip_address”:[“1.1.1.1”],“last_seen”:“2016-11-28T04:58:19Z”,“hardware_manufacturer”:"-",“hardware_model”:"-",“hardware_serial_number”:“TLM_VM_76ij76g-7f13-64bgr-65fg3ng”,“processor_brand_string”:“Intel® Xeon® CPU E7- 4820 @ 2.00GHz”,“processor_type”:“Multi-core”,“processor_brand”:“Xeon®, 3 or 4 Socket”,“processor_vendor”:“Intel®”,“processor_model”:“E3-12xx E7-28xx E7-48xx E7-88xx”,“partition_cores”:“4.0”,“server_processors”:4,“server_cores”:4},
Example of VM returning complete data:
{“id”:22,“parent_id”:25,“type”:“virtual”,“os”:“IBM i V7R1M0 PowerPC 64”,“host_name”:“BN5FGN”,“dns_name”:“BN5FGN”,“ip_address”:“2.2.2.2”,“last_seen”:“2016-07-08T17:26:00Z”,“hardware_manufacturer”:“IBM”,“hardware_model”:“550”,“hardware_serial_number”:“6552CFF”,“processor_brand_string”:null,“processor_type”:“Dual-core”,“processor_brand”:“7154”,“processor_vendor”:“IBM”,“processor_model”:"",“partition_cores”:“2.0”,“server_processors”:4,“server_cores”:4}
My Question: What could be the logical explanation for this?

02. Some physical hosts are only returning processor info while rest of the fields are null. On the contrary some physical hosts are returning data for some additional fields also.
Example of physical hosts returning incomplete data:
{“id”:6,“parent_id”:null,“type”:“host”,“os”:null,“host_name”:null,“dns_name”:null,“ip_address”:null,“last_seen”:null,“hardware_manufacturer”:"-",“hardware_model”:"-",“hardware_serial_number”:“TLM_VM_75fgen-jhj67nb3-a989-90n34fg768a”,“processor_brand_string”:null,“processor_type”:“Multi-core”,“processor_brand”:“Xeon®, 3 or 4 Socket”,“processor_vendor”:“Intel®”,“processor_model”:“E3-12xx E7-28xx E7-48xx E7-88xx”,“partition_cores”:null,“server_processors”:1,“server_cores”:1}
Example of physical hosts returning data for additional fields:
{“id”:26,“parent_id”:null,“type”:“host”,“os”:null,“host_name”:null,“dns_name”:null,“ip_address”:null,“last_seen”:null,“hardware_manufacturer”:“IBM”,“hardware_model”:“MMA”,“hardware_serial_number”:“GH34SA”,“processor_brand_string”:null,“processor_type”:“Dual-core”,“processor_brand”:“POWER6 (550,560,570, 575, 595 svrs)”,“processor_vendor”:“IBM®”,“processor_model”:“All Existing”,“partition_cores”:null,“server_processors”:8,“server_cores”:8}

My Question: What could be the logical explanation for this?

03. The REST API call to ‘/api/sam/computer_systems’ is not returning for the following computer attributes:
• MAC Address (Note: we get the IP Address for computers but IP address is a variable value while MAC is a stable value)
• System Disk space
• RAM info
• User names

My Question: Is there a way we could get these values from REST API? I know it is possible to get these values (except MAC address) by making the API call to the BigFix Server ‘BigFixServer:52311/api/computer/’. But I am interested in these values to be returned by the ILMT / SUA – REST API.

I will appreciate the feedback from you guys!

Thanks
Hameed

Hello hameed.iqbal,

About your observations:

1. Computer system entry with VM returning incomplete data
    This is because there are no VM Mangers scans were imported for your computer.
    Please check on Hardware Inventory panel if all of your computers are in OK status.
    In API response from your example incomplete VMs have hardware serial number starting with "TLM_VM_

2. Computer system entry with physical hosts returning incomplete data
    The same situation as in point 01. No VM Managers scans were imported for your computer.
    Anyway API is returning such incomplete host entries to properly built the hierachy of virtualizations (using ‘parent_id’ attribute)

3. We recommned getting computer properties by making the API call to the BigFix Server ‘BigFixServer:52311/api/computer/’.
    However there is a method to get them also from ILMT / BFI– REST API.
    The procedure is described in this topic:
    ILMT / SUA – SUADB Database Integration – Is it supported?

Thanks,
Łukasz