ILMT Migration question

Hi All,

I’m helping a customer with a migration of their environment, but they’ve decided to re-install on new hardware using a new license instead of the one from the existing environment (so new license.crt and license.pvk).

As it currently exists the environment is Root Server, remote db and separate ILMT server.

The new install and client migration is not a problem. Here’s the conundrum:

As I replace mastheads and the endpoints start reporting into the new environment, the old ILMT server will no longer receive data from those agents as they are no longer reporting to the old root server.

I could just install ILMT from the new environment and have the endpoints report to this new ILMT. Scans would upload, imports would occur and reports would get generated. The problem is the data in the old ILMT server. I don’t want the customer to lose it. So I’ve thought of a couple of ways to make the switch and keep the old data, but since the scenario is not one I’ve done before I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think might be the pros and cons.

1. Switch the data source in ILMT from the old root server (and BFEnterprise db) to the new root server and db. My question here is: Would the old ILMT care that the endpoints now reporting have a different masthead and new computer IDs? I’m thinking it would create duplicate computers. Would the ILMT server even integrate the data from the new data source given that it’s a different masthead?

2. Backup the ILMT db, install new ILMT and before initializing the new ILMT db, restore from the backup. This would basically allow ILMT to detect the existing db and not create a new (empty) one.

Let’s start with the assumption that the new ILMT will be the same version as the old one. Will either of these two work?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
Few things to consider here.

1. In both cases, ILMT will work with the new Root Server and will import data. How ever as the Client Computer IDs will be new, all the SW inventory will be new and any SW classification (bundling) work will need to be redone

2. The customer should check with IBM compliance on the 2 years reporting requirements if they lose the data from the old ILMT server