ILMT and Xeon Gold 6134, 6234 CPUs

Sorry to bring up an IBM question on this forum, but is anyone aware of issues with ILMT’s VM Manager with VMware on specific Xeon CPUs?

Capacity data is apparently updated where the ESX server has a Xeon Gold 6132 processor, but not on a 6134 or 6234.

I have zero skills with ILMT, but I thought I would ask in case there’s a known issue.

I’m not aware of any specific issues, and that appears to be a fairly mundane processor (6134 is a Skylake-based 8 core/16 thread if I’m reading Intel’s doc correctly).

What sort of issues are you seeing? You may need to open a support incident to step through your configuration, but 1) is the VMWare Extender connecting to your hypervisor and retrieving anything at all, 2) are there any errors in the extender logs?

Thanks Jason. I think the problem is porbably misreported, that the fault lies in the VMware extender install or config, and the processor diff is just chance. The hostname is replaced with “TLM_VM_foo” and “No VM Manager Data” in ILMT. I have involved a colleague with ILMT experience, he’ll raise a ticket f required.

Just to point you in the right direction, the agent and scanner are installed on that VM, but the hypervisor is not being queried by the VM Manager in ILMT, so it can be matched with the VMs running on it. See https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/license-metric-tool?topic=infrastructure-managing-vm-managers

2 Likes