ILMT 9.2 Initiate Software Scan

Hello,

We are deploying the ILMT and trying to run some scans.

I have installed the client on 3 test boxes and they are all reporting into the BigFix console. I selected all 3 text boxes and “Install or Upgrade Scanner” and installed the scanner onto each test box.
Now I am trying to “Initiate Software Scan” on the 3 test boxes however the fixlet is greyed out and shows 0 applicable computers

Am i missing a step ?

It could just be that they haven’t reported in as applicable yet. There can be a delay before they show up in the console that way, but if you deployed that task to those 3 machines it should do the scan if they are actually relevant.

Are they still not showing up as relevant?

If you have not done so already, make sure the version of the software catalog you have is the most current; upload it and then run an ILMT import.

Check the “Catalog Download” action in BigFIx and see if it completed. The “Initiate Software Scan” task won’t become relevant until the catalog is propagated to the clients.

You can also run the fixlet “Analyze The Relevance of a Fixlet or Task”, select the “Initiate Software Scan” fixlet in the description and then run it to see which relevance(s) resolve to false. That would also help determine why this task is not becoming relevant.

–Mark

2 Likes

Hi, Same thing is happening in our bigfix ILMT scenario, where I installed ILMT & updated its catalog but still initiate software scan is not getting relevant.

As suggested by mtrain able to find the root cause where relevance number 8 of initiate software scan is not getting applied which state catalog.xml is missing.

Now problem is when I am trying to initiate Data import it does not happening & route me to Home page of ILMT dont know why?

Please suggest & help, do i need to manually put catalog.xml file somehow on suggested location or this suppose to be happen automatic, & why data import stop working.

OK this was bcoz of somehow problem with IE, when I started it with another browser there was no issue with import.

And as per initiate software scan relevance “if (name of operating system as lowercase starts with “win”) then (exists file “catalog.xml.bz2” of folder ((if (version of client >= “9” as version) then (pathname of parent folder of data folder of client) else (pathname of parent folder of regapp “besclient.exe”)) & “\LMT\CIT”) or exists file “catalog.xml” of folder ((if (version of client >= “9” as version) then (pathname of parent folder of data folder of client) else (pathname of parent folder of regapp “besclient.exe”)) & “\LMT\CIT”)) else (exists file “catalog.xml.bz2” of folder (((if (version of client >= “9” as version) then (pathname of parent folder of data folder of client) else (pathname of parent folder of parent folder of client folder of site “actionsite”))) & “/LMT/CIT”) or exists file “catalog.xml” of folder (((if (version of client >= “9” as version) then (pathname of parent folder of data folder of client) else (pathname of parent folder of parent folder of client folder of site “actionsite”))) & “/LMT/CIT”)))”

its seems catalog.xml is not present on mentioned path, hence I tried initiating data import from ILMT portal twice and also place the catalog.xml file in “/LMT/CIT” but still no result, initiate software scan is still grayed out & falling on relevance 8.

Ok I solved it, in my case same issue was there catalog file were missing from endppoints. What i did is download the fixlet catalog download from catalog upload section & initiate action on all endpoints and inresults to that initiate software scan start getting relevant.

However as per ibm ILMT wiki & other referred documents this catalog download fixlet will automatically populated once you upload the latest catalog file & start import in ilmt web portal, somehow that was not happening.

That is the question which remains unsolved but for me its stand closed.

I seem to recall that if your BigFix server uses a proxy to get out on to the Internet that the catalog download process could fail.

See https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS8JFY_9.2.0/com.ibm.lmt.doc/Inventory/planinconf/c_relay_proxy_exclusion.html

–Mark