ie7 administrative login needed

(imported topic written by bc6591)

When installing the ie7 fixlet(#23122) to our domain users it seems to create an entry like:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components” /v “NoIE4StubProcessing” /f

in the registry under:

HKey_Local_Machinie\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\runonce NoIE4StubProcessing

which triggers the “Administrative Login Needed” fixlet. I have tried to find info on this but so far not much. I also tried to execute that process via Bigfix and then delete the registry entry. It says it completes and I tested it via a Bigfix remote dos window but the Admin login needed fixlet doesnt go away until I login as admin on that machine.

Our users do not have admin rights. Is this important to complete the installs? Is there any way around having to login as admin on each machine?

Thanks !

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey bc,

Couple notes:

• You might try to login as a non-admin user and see if this runonce entry is cleared properly without error. If so, your problems are solved.
  • Once pending login is set, you will need to restart the computer (or the agent) to make that Fixlet return false.
  • If I remember correctly, you can use the IE administration kit (IEAK) to customize how IE installs and whether it will require an admin login… I haven’t played with this in IE7, but I remember a similar issue with the IE6 upgrade.

Ben

(imported comment written by bc6591)

Logging in as a non-admin does not clear it. Nor does a restart or another restart.

I will have a look at IEAK 7.

Thanks very much Ben