BM BigFix Inventory application update 9.2.13.
This update contains features that extend software discovery, enhance license reporting and address security scenarios. The key features include:
• Reporting the Registered User metric for Microsoft Office 365 (BigFix Inventory only)
BigFix Inventory reports utilization of the Registered User metric for Microsoft Office 365. The information is extracted during regular software scans directly from computers where components of Office 365 are installed. Based on the scan results, the Registered User metric is calculated, and its utilization is displayed on the All Metrics report. Detailed information about users is shown on the Software Users report.
Benefits: Thanks to this feature, you can track licenses for Office 365 in BigFix Inventory to analyze trends, define thresholds and optimize costs by identifying users of unused instances.
• Version currency of Internet browsers and other selected software that changes frequently (BigFix Inventory only)
BigFix Inventory automatically detects all versions of a number of software components on Windows. These components include Internet browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera) as well as components such as Adobe Air, Adobe Flash Player, Slack, and other. The components are detected by generic signatures while their versions are automatically retrieved from files or packages that caused detection.
Benefits: Thanks to the newly introduced approach towards detection of software that is frequently updated, full discovery currency is ensured.
• Preview Features
The Preview features give you a chance to take a sneak peek at what we are currently developing. You can try them out and provide your feedback to influence how they work when they are officially released. You can provide your feedback about the dashboard by clicking the Send Feedback button on the Home Page.
• Preview feature: Visibility of Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) (BigFix Inventory only)
- Information about CVEs is shown on the Software Classification report on which CVEs are matched with software components through component detailed versions.
- The details of CVEs are extended to include a link to a description of the CVE in the National Vulnerability Database as well as the version of the CVSS, either 2.0 or 3.0.
- Information about CVEs can be filtered and sorted by the CVE name. The filter shows the software that meets the specified criteria by searching through the full list of CVEs of each reported software instance.
Benefits: Thanks to the improvements in showing information about CVEs you can better identify, monitor, and analyze potentially vulnerable software and at the same time prevent potential threats.
• Preview feature: Security dashboard and reporting (BigFix Inventory only)
New Security Dashboard shows a preview of security features in the form of widgets that show the following information:
- The number of software installations that are out of support
- The number of software installations for which support ends within the next three months
- The number of software installations that are vulnerable
- The number of software installations that were discovered within the last two weeks and are vulnerable
- The overall number of software installations
To view the new dashboard, click Go to New Dashboard & Reporting on the home page.
Benefits: Summary of the most important security information available at a single view.
• Reporting utilization of FlexPoints
FlexPoint is a license metric unit that can be used to determine the cost of IBM products that are purchased as part of FlexPoint bundles. Each product from a bundle is licensed based on a different license metric but all metrics are converted into FlexPoints. Products that are currently available as part of FlexPoint bundles are products from the IBM Cloud and IBM Analytics brands.
Benefits: BigFix Inventory and License Metric Tool allow you to calculate the current license utilization of IBM FlexPoints, based on the most recent data. For some product that are included in FlexPoint bundles and cannot be automatically measured by BigFix Inventory or License Metric Tool, manual input of the base metric is required.
Thanks to this feature, you can make sure that you are prepared for audits, and that the number of purchased FlexPoints fits your needs.
• New To Do list on the top navigation bar
The top navigation bar is extended with a To Do list that, at present, displays the information about:
- Failed imports of data
- Availability of a new version of the application
- The need to configure connections to virtualization hosts for some of the computers
Benefits: Thanks to the To Do list you are informed about issues that might affect the accuracy of your reports and thus, immediately take actions to avoid miscalculations. At the same time, you can be up-to-date about the newest application releases.
• Support for BigFix Inventory and License Metric Tool server on MS SQL 2016
MS SQL 2016 is now supported as a database for BigFix Inventory and License Metric Tool.
If you used MS SQL 2016 with earlier versions of BigFix Inventory or License Metric Tool your environment was non-compliant from IBM perspective. The data that was stored in the database might have been invalid and the historical data cannot be fixed. However, data collected after the upgrade to BigFix Inventory or License Metric Tool 9.2.13 will be valid and compliant from IBM perspective.
Benefits: You can use the MS SQL 2016 edition as a database.
• Discovery of new components from Citrix, Symantec, and Oracle (BigFix Inventory only)
The software catalog is extended to discover new components from Citrix, Symantec, and Oracle. To discover the components, ensure that you upgrade BigFix Inventory to version 9.2.13.
Below is the list of the newly added components. To learn about their exact versions, use the Software Catalog widget in BigFix Inventory to browse the catalog content.
- Added discovery capability for Citrix products
o Citrix Edgesight
o Citrix Presentation Server
o Citrix XenDesktop
- Added discovery capability for Symantec products
o Veritas Cluster Enterprise Agents
o Veritas Cluster ServerVeritas Cluster Server Bundled Agents
o Veritas Cluster Server Disk Reservation Modules and Utilities
- Added discovery capability for Oracle products
o Oracle Clusterware
o Oracle GoldenGate
o Sun Cluster HA for WebSphere MQ
Benefits: More visibility into deployed products and components and better license management without the need to develop custom signatures.
• Information about the end of support dates is refreshed (BigFix Inventory only)
The information about the end of support dates is refreshed for your IBM software components for which the dates were announced since the last update of the list. The data is based on the information contained in IBM Lifecycle in September.
Benefits: The information about the end of support dates for the IBM software used in your organization is up-to-date and thus, you can prepare for the forthcoming software updates.
• Security enhancements
- On the server side:
o Java is upgraded to the newest version to maintain security.
o TLS 1.2 is enabled in IBM Java by default.
o WebSphere Application Server Liberty is upgraded to version 126.96.36.199 to address CVE-2018-1553.
- On the endpoint side:
o Update of the Xerces library to version 3.2.1 on Windows to keep the scanner secure and reliable.
• Support for new virtualization technologies
- vSphere ESXi 6.7 and vSphere vCenter Server 6.7.
Action to take
To learn how to get the application update and deploy it as well as to view the full list of new features and APARs that were fixed in this application update, see: https://ibm.biz/bfi_update_9213.
During the upgrade, new versions of the software catalog and PVU table are uploaded. The versions that are uploaded are the newest ones that were available during the release of the application update to which you are upgrading.