I need help to understand partition and server cores

Hello, when I go to BigFix Inventory, then go to a computer and then go to Hardware Inventory I am seeing the following:

In this case we are running a Linux LPAR with KVM (kernel based virtual machine). This machine has 3 cores and we see in the image the number 3 under partition cores. We also see 64 under server cores. I don’t understand this field. What does it represent, and where is it coming from? How does the BigFix agent determine this number.

I hope someone can briefly explain it to me. Thank you.

“Partition Cores” is the actual cores from the machine for that VM. “Server Core” comes from VM Manager Data where you establish the VM-to-VH relationship. From here (having both) is used to calculate “sub capacity” vs “full capacity” license metrics for each product - i.e. the “sub capacity” being your actual license usage where “full capacity” is the hypothetical amount of licenses IF your machines are magically increased to the maximum available hypervisor resources (i.e. if your VM’s cores are increased from 3 to 64).

Hello ageorgiev, thank you for your reply. The reason I am asking this question is because the 64 server cores, according to a colleague of mine, is incorrect and should be 30.

I am wondering, from a technical point of view, where this number 64 is coming from. Is this stored on the VM in a file, a variable, or is it determined in some way? I assume the BigFix agent gathers this information from a source and I wonder what that source is.

As I said, it comes from the VM Manager data - whether that is from external connection (under Management -> VM Manager in the BFI UI) or as result of data uploaded by execution of fixlet “Run Capacity Scan on Virtualization Hosts (10.0.15.0)” depends on what kind of virtualization/hypervisor it is. As far as I am aware in about 10 years of experience of BFI, yet to see an example where the data is wrong, so I would personally question what you are being told but that’s just me…

The way it works - VM managers data (regardless of which stream it comes from) on top of the data for the hypervisor (ram, cpu, etc) it also collects the list of VMs that are ran on it. It then matches UUID of the VM to to VM Manager to link “VM-to-VH” and as a result it populates the Partition cores/Server Cores. IF the data do not match then the VM would show status “No VM Manager Data” and I would expect “Server Cores” to be blank/unknown.

2 Likes