I have bits and pieces, but not a whole - fileset documentation questions

“Inspector” | “Action” | “Relevance” is not something I am picking up easily.

There are some current “Analysis” that have a lot of this information in a propery - and I’ll look into parsing that later - but, it seems that QnA (i.e., inspector) is able to return information similiar to:

root@x072:[/]lslpp -l aixtools.gnu.bash.*
  Fileset                      Level  State      Description
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path: /usr/lib/objrepos
  aixtools.gnu.bash.adt     4.4.19.0  COMMITTED  gnu bash ADT files
  aixtools.gnu.bash.man.en_US
                            4.4.19.0  COMMITTED  gnu bash man pages
  aixtools.gnu.bash.rte     4.4.19.0  COMMITTED  gnu bash 07-Feb-2018
  aixtools.gnu.bash.share   4.4.19.0  COMMITTED  gnu bash universal files

However, I want to check - the Inspector documentation for “fileset” says

Which is what I would have expected to deal with a ‘wildcard’ such as “aixtools.gnu.bash.*”

So, two questions:

a) why do any of the 'filesets matching … statements work. I would have thought being removed means gone. Or are these now creation statements and I am forgetting which ‘section’ I am in. As in, this “was a property” but now is “object creation”.

Intro: “of object repository” feels like an inspector way of calling AIX command “odmget” - and, when given an exact match both "lpp_name = ‘some string’ and “lpp_name like ‘some string’” work - but not the same as odmget -a "name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash.*'" lpp | grep name and ODMDIR=/usr/lib/objrepos odmget -q "name like aixtools.gnu.bash*" lpp | grep name or even lslpp -l aixtools.gnu.bash.*

b) is accepting ‘like’ an error, or is the processing of ‘like’ (ignoring the ‘*’ an error.

See below for examples:

root@x072:[/]/opt/BESClient/bin/qna
Default masthead location, using /etc/opt/BESClient/actionsite.afxm
Q: fileset with name "aixtools.gnu.bash.rte" of object repository
A: aixtools.gnu.bash.rte 4.4.19.0
T: 21752

Q: filesets matching "lpp_name = 'aixtools.gnu.bash.rte'" of object repository
T: 1116

Q: filesets matching "lpp_name = 'aixtools.gnu.bash.'" of object repository
T: 1021

Q: filesets matching "lpp_name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash'" of object repository
T: 1027

Q: names of filesets matching "lpp_name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash'" of object repository
E: The operator "names" is not defined.

E: This expression contained a character which is not allowed.

Q: name of filesets matching "lpp_name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash'" of object repository
E: The operator "name" is not defined.

Q: exists filesets matching "lpp_name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash'" of object repository
A: False
T: 2409

Q: exists filesets matching "lpp_name = 'aixtools.gnu.bash.rte'" of object repository
A: True
T: 1091

Q: filesets matching "lpp_name like 'aixtools.gnu.bash.rte'" of object repository
T: 1130

This does go a bit deep into ‘specific for AIX’, but I hope to see potential to improve on many of the properties for analysis.

Further, understanding “fileset” is essential for creating relevance - as is done for/by the external sites, but I also want to be able to do the same for tasks used for Software Distribution - also to uninstall software.

1 Like