I can not restart BESClient properly

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask for some help, I am checking few windows servers which has the service BES Client Stopped,
I can see from event viewer that when this service attempt to start few seconds later comes to stopped and there is a msg there:

"The BES Client service terminated with the following service-specific error:
The system cannot open the file"

I have checked the Path to executable for BESClient.exe , and it exists there in the folder.

Could you please give me a hint on this?

Thanks in Advance.

I would recommend having a look at the Client’s log, which, by default on 64-bit Windows systems would be under: C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\__Global\Logs

1 Like

Thank you Aram,

I had a look and found something like this on the bottom of the log :

At 14:47:47 - actionsite (http://:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)
Gather::SyncSiteByFile deleting files - count :63
At 14:47:48 - Retry error, attempt 9 failed for ForceNoneexistence (C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\actionsite\Action 228437.fxf)
Gather::SyncSiteByFile caught FileIOError (5) FileIOError
At 14:47:58
FAILED to Synchronize - Site data corrupted - gather url - http://(URL)

Client shutdown (No action site)

Try deleting the __BESData folder, then restarting the client service.

1 Like

Thank you JonL,

I renamed the folder because I was afraid of delete it :grimacing:, and restarted the service, looks like it is working fine, service is up since then, and a new folder was created and populated.

Would you mind to explain to me the root cause of this issue? I would like to understand why that happen and the reason to get to that solution.

Thank you in Advance.

Can we do it for 100 machines using powershell or any scripting?

File corruption or it being locked by another process such as anti-virus or security tools are common causes.

If your clients are Windows and have powershell remoting configured, then you can use powershell to rip through a list to delete __BESData and start the agent service again.

2 Likes